What's new

Painkiller Jane (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Is anybody going to start watching this new series from Sci-Fi when it kicks off next week? I saw that it's premiering after the Stargates, so that's a draw since I'll be watching anyway. And I usually enjoy the Scifi channel's original programming (I have found it really good this year, too, with BSG and Dresden).

The premise of the character sounds interesting to me - is it a mystery why she can heal herself, or is it just her "gift" like Wolverine?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I will probably read a few reviews first. As to her origin, there was a Sci-Fi movie maybe a year ago, based on the comic book character; there's no mystery.

Jane was played by Emmanuelle Vaugier in the movie, and I thought she was fine (in several senses of that word). Her part in the series has been recast with Kristanna Loken, who I am kinda meh on. But maybe she will be OK.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Well, as regards the movie - I wouldn't be surprised if this is more of a fresh start kind of scenario, since that was on kind of long ago, in TV time. So, maybe they will make it more of a mystery here, that'd be a good season-long arc perhaps? (I should so go into television :))

Kind of reminds me, genre-wise, of some stuff like Dark Angel or Aeon Flux, maybe. I like the strong female characters thing anyway.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This might be the first series we're going to wait for the DVD for. I'm getting a bit tired with all the dark and muddy series on Sci-Fi, and would rather for something that looks a bit nicer on my HDTV.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Okay, so I've finally watched and I quite liked it. I see a lot of potential in this series, they've set up a couple of good story arcs in the first episode.

I also liked Kristanna Loken a lot in the lead role. I thought that she had a nice mix of toughness and vulnerability.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I have a short leash on this one. It's borderline bad enough that it induces unintentional laughs rather than the tension and seriousness it aims for.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I think it's improving steadily - or at least as steadily as possible in two episodes - I felt like this most recent episode was good about setting up various mysteries - what are the Neuros, where did Jane's powers come from if they DNA tested her and she doesn't have the genetic code or whatever to be a Neuro. Maybe she's like a mutant version of one? I don't know, but Im' curious about how they'll handle that. And when did she realize that she healed? When she was a kid and just got better quickly, or now, when she should have died but didn't?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have seen 3 or 4 episodes. All along I knew/thought Jane was a Neuro. I thought her team did as well. So I am a bit confused over the their apparent shock in the last scene when the doc was saying she had some traits similar to a Neuro.

I am also getting tired of all the shows being so dark. In the world of TV, it seems like people prefer to live in caves. Is there an unwritten rule that the TV shows must be "green" and show people conserving power. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks