Paid Programing on Channels we now pay for!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Norm, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I'm getting tired of Channels that show Paid Programing at night. Its a rip off, the fact that we pay money for TV & they put on Paid Programing. I think people need to start complaining about this its not right.

2. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

Would you rather have to pay more to get the channels?

I would assume that paid programming goes toward keeping our cost down, in which case I am all for filling up the late-night, early morning hours with paid-programming.

3. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    We are paying anyway.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    What channels?

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Sci-Fi etc., these type of channels the basic cable type you only get from Cable & DBS. I'm noticing more & more infomercials. If people don't speak up we are going to end up with 15 hours of real tv a day for the same price. Sci-Fi use to have some great old stuff on at night now its just infomercials. This seems to be a trend.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Reason 423 why I don't have cable- commercial interruptions on any channel I pay to get are unacceptable, and so are infomercials. If I pay for the Sci-Fi Channel, I want to be able to turn it on any time of the day or night and see some sci-fi.
    I think the cable system here charges extra for the Sci-Fi channel too ("Expanded basic", so if you have regular basic it's scrambled, of course the de-scrambling still don't get rid of that Saturn in the corner)- wouldn't it make sense to leave it unscrambled if they wanted their commercials and paid programs to be seen by as many people as possible???

7. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

I realize we are paying for the channels already.. my point is would we be paying even more without all the infomercials? Maybe I'm just naive (probably) in thinking that the networks would run infomercials to keep the cost to the customer down.

But, if that is the case, I'd still support infomercials in the 2-6AM, give or take, timeframe.

8. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

... and they put advertising in the newspapers and magazines I pay for, too... thankfully, the ads subsidize the cost.

Not that I enjoy watching paid programming... but this is nothing new. Ron Popeil has been doing this for about 30 years.

One could also complain that, instead of providing varied programming, most cable networks rerun the same movie or show several times throughout the week. TNT even brags about running the same thing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the same time slot.

Welcome to the world of narrowcasting.

When I find myself watching TV late at night, I'm usually watching something from the DVR that was recorded during normal people's waking hours... [​IMG]

-Scott

9. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    See, I enjoyed those rare obscure Sci-fi shows that only aired at 3am on Sci-Fi. Now I get only infomercials, and these obscure shows will never air at other times. Even though I wasn't up to watch them I would Tivo them. Now I get nothing!