What's new

Page Style? (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What happened to the page style choices. I'm back to 2/3 of my screen being used for content with 2 inch empty borders on each side along with larger fonts substantially decreasing the information of screen at any time.

I really have no desire for my desktop monitor to look like a smart phone

The style chooser give me the distinct option of 1.5.9.1 or default which is 1.5.9.1

Is there anyway to request recovery of the entire right 33% of the screen taken up by blank space, recent reviews, recent replies, who's online, forum statistics, etc. Could all that not be at the top or bottom of the screen away from the main screen and out of the way?

Last edited:

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I'm not seeing that, but we made some tweaks. Are you still seeing it? What device/browser are you using?

I don't think I'm seeing what David Norman is, but I'm seeing some odd things.

Something about the text in postings is looking like i, I and l are are bolded, although it's not doing it in the text box I'm composing this in. Also, New Posts appears twice at the top left of the page and clicking Forum List just opens a blank column on the left.

I'm trying this with both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 7.

Edit: Once I post this, the letters mentioned above appear to be bold.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I literally can't even see the first thread by default. My entire screen is filled with useless crap until I scroll like mad.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not seeing that, but we made some tweaks. Are you still seeing it? What device/browser are you using?

Windows 10 PC with a 24 inch monitor. Same with Opera, FF, and Chrome, The font is larger so on any given screen I've lost about 1/3 of the threads I could see yesterday, plus the loss of side spaces.

16 in wide monitor: from left to right here's what I see
1.5 in gray empty left margin, 2 inches for the Profile, 9.5 of Forum, 3.5in of stuff which I don't use so basically empty space (recent review, recent replies, who's on line, Share this site), then another 1.5 in of gray empty right margin. After I scroll down below a bit on that right side stuff I have 5 inches of Gray screen on the right + 1.5 on gray on the left so basically 40% of my monitor is empty space .

The style/skin choices that were added after the last update at least made it where at least 3/4 was used for the main screen. Oddly what was labelled condensed I think was actually expanded screen, but that's gone. Now all the skin options for Page are gone

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Just to add a little more in the way of possible data points, when I came to HTF yesterday, I didn't get logged in automatically like I usually do. It was only after I got logged in that I noticed the changed look and went to try the style chooser. I assumed that my login issue was caused by my browser or OS, but once I saw this other stuff, I began to wonder if this was just another symptom of what's happening to you.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Same here. I was logged out and thought the same, but when I logged in it didn't come up to the usual screen. I'm assuming the log out/mandatory log in was due to the update since that has happened in the past, but the appearance is now back to essentially what is was
after the last major update. It's certainly usable, but substantially less so that it was.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
On my browsers, the problems we saw yesterday appear nicely fixed, and thanks!

The one thing I'm still seeing from yesterday is an increase in the size of the fonts AND (it seems) in the amount of white space on thread index pages. If I want it to look more "normal", I have to decrease (using CTRL-minus in Windows) my display size -- which ends up shrinking the entire page and that's not what I want either. Is there a reason this balance had to change? To put it in a really silly way, those pages look "dumbed down" in comparison to the way they had been.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Forum List at the top doesn't work for me in Safari 9.1.2. Now it is a blank white strip on the left side with no options.
Was something changed here?

EDIT: Just logged in using Chrome and the same issue.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Forum List at the top doesn't work for me in Safari 9.1.2. Now it is a blank white strip on the left side with no options.
Was something changed here?

EDIT: Just logged in using Chrome and the same issue.

Several downgrades were made to the forum appearance and function last week. I'm not sure if there are correction/fixes/upgrades in the works or if this is it and get used to it

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess and assume we are stuck with the new compressed version without any alternative Page Styles?

The cell phoning of the internet wins again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks