padding for bottom of DIY bookshelfs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_T, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I realize most consumer model bookshelf speakers have nothing on the bottom except for the veneer, paint, or vinyl but most don't have a really nice finish to them either. Has anyone put a treatment or felt or something on the bottom of their DIY bookshelf speakers? Mine are the AV1+'s and I used cherry veneer and I'm afraid the bottom is just going to get all scratched up anyway so I've been considering felt or something for the bottoms. I guess it doesn't matter if it gets all scratched up, nobody looks at the bottoms anyway.

I'm just curious what you may have done. I can't really go with rubber nubs because they will be on stands that aren't necessarily the same size as the speaker so the nubs may be in the wrong place at any given time depending on the stand.

Thanks!

Darren

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

why not get some spray adhesive and some plack fabric and cover the top of the stand instead of the speaker. I hate doing anything to the speaker if possible. Or get some rubber foam weather stripping and cover the edge of the stands.

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I kinda like the felt idea on the speaker stand, not bad. I was considering cork also so that might be a better solution. I was also considering treating the speaker for situations where I might take them to a friends or an audition party or whatnot. No biggie though, I'll try the felt/cork idea on the stands.

Thanks.

Darren

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Because my subs also pull double duty as stands I put little felt covered feet on the bottom of my A/V-1's. But for my A/V-1+'s I think I'll simply cut up small pieces of a mouse pad so that I won't have anything permanently attached to either cabinet.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Here's the thing, if you put a soft material under the cabinet you are therefore isolating it from the speaker stand or ground on a suspension.

The result of this can be "bad" for sound because the cabinet can shake, rattle, and roll on the suspension.

So my solution was to "glue" the speaker to the stand with some spare dynamat extreme puddy I had. It was strong enough for me to lift the stand by the bookshelf, yet also easily removable because there's no adhesive involved.

It's basically a mineral based silly putty of some kind that's sticky.

Perhaps the best solution would be to actually glue and clamp the speaker or screw the speaker onto the stand, and then the stand on spikes grounded to the solid floor. Think about it, how often are you going to lift the speaker off the stand just to show ppl the bottom.

edit: What's Rutledge audio design Brian?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,
    My now full time business. HT installations, custom built speakers, subwoofers, etc. We supply cabinets for the A/V-1 and A/V-1+ speakers that Danny sells directly from the GR Research website. You can also see a picture of my cabinets on Kyle's Acoustic Visions website (the oak A/V-1 picture is from a pair of cabinets I built).
    I've got a couple of loyal customers out there so far! [​IMG]

7. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Go to staples and get some "Tac'n Stik". It is the same stuff as Blu-Tak (expensive audiophile stuff.)
    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&SKU=334690
    Make 4 small balls the size of a marble. Put one ball on each corner of your stand. Center your speaker and press firmly. This will couple the speaker to the stand. No worries about knocking them off their stands (kids and pets.)
    It will leave blue stuff in the wood, but it is the bottom of the speaker where no one will see.
    rf

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,
    You still coming Saturday? Wanna see a sneak peak of the A/V-1+'s?[​IMG]

9. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I'll be there! The wife and I are leaving around 2:00 tomorrow.

Do you have any pictures?

rf

10. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Thanks for the ideas guys. I used a yellow tack putty on my Paradigms but it was terrible trying to separate the speaker from the stand, it actually ripped a layer off the stand top. I'll give the blue stuff a try on my new speakers and see how it goes. I have spikes on my stands also and it did make for a nice solid mount.

Darren

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

As far as separating the speaker from the stands go, I used THESE.
    If you look at the photo of the spike, I was able to take the pointed part out and use the soft foam on the speaker side of the feet. I used the extra foam to separate the two metal pieces and also a foam piece to separate the bottom of the speaker and the stand. The gold look adds a 'Classy' feel to it when looking at the speakers from the front.

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Oooohhhh them thar feeters are purty. [​IMG]
    I have the cheap black ones but they work on my carpet. I like your idea though. I'll have to sit and study my situation and see what will work for me.
    Thanks.
    Darren