What's new

Packaging & Quality Control (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'm usually one of the last people to complain about packaging, but...

I went to Best Buy last Friday to pick up Start Trek: TNG season 6... got the last one on the shelf.

Took it home and wanted to pop in disk one to play "Relics."

Disk 1 was firmly seated on the hub, but the label was all scratched. I carefully removed the disk and looked at the data side...

There was a footprint on the data side of the disk! Reebok Crosstrainer, by the look of it. The disk looked like it landed on the floor label down, and Mr. Reebok went for a skate on it!

Not wanting to pack it up and drive the 25 mile round-trip to Best Buy for a replacement that they didn't have, I decided to have a go at cleaning it. Got the data side nice and shiny, and it works...

...but My God! Didn't Mr. Reebok realize that these things aren't designed for skating around the factory floor? At the very least, once you've decided to skate on one, that should be your designated skating disk... it should NOT go in a package for sale.

Must have been boxed on a Monday...

-Scott

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I've had 10 DVD box sets and 2-disc sets (all in Digipaks) within 8 weeks, all of which contained at least one disc that was severly scratched and unplayable. The types of scratches were pretty much identical on all.

Chris

StevenA

Second Unit
I have also been receiving more and more scratched discs (even when the discs are secure on the hubs on arrival).
I had to return LOTR:EE three times because Disc 2 was always marked or scratched. Finally I settled for the least scratched one, because I couldn't stand going back to Best Buy to make a fourth exchange! :rolleyes

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Steven,
yeah, none of my discs were rattlers as well. And LotR EE (the only R1 in this list) was among them! Discs 3 and 4 were badly scratched.
The others were:
Buffy Season 5 (UK): 2 faulty sets
24 Season 1 (UK): 3 faulty sets
Amadeus SE (Germany): 1 faulty set
One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest SE (Germany): 3 faulty sets
In all cases I only managed to get a fault free set because Amazon sends out replacements immediately without me having to send the old sets back first. That way I could keep the good discs from set one and combine them with the good discs from set 2. As you can see, in the case of 24 and One flew... even with mix n match it still took 3 tries, and none of the sets were fault free.
I already posted the following pic in another thread a while ago, but this one seems better suited. All faulty discs contained one of 2 types of scratches. All 24 and Buffy sets were A, the rest B.

I'd really like to know what the hell is going on.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks