What's new

"Packaged" set or "by the pair" speakers (1 Viewer)

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at buying speakers. The only local store here sells B and W, Klipsch and Paradigm speakers. I have listened to pairs in the same price range of all three speakers (Paradigm mini-monitors, SB 2's and DM 601s(?)). They all sound good to my ears. They sell locally here for about $225/speaker or so. How do these bookshelf type speakers compare as front left and right mains as compared to the mains of "packaged" 5.1 systems that sell in the $600-$700 range, such as the packaged deal at Ascend Accoustics or other brands.

Should I buy the whole packaged deal or a couple of the above mentioned speakers and then later buy the center and surrounds? I guess what I'm asking is do the left and right mains of a pre-packaged system sound as good or are as good as a pair of the above mentioned bookshelf type speaker?

Thx for any input/advice, Frank

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
In B&W, Klipsch and Paradigm, you have been listening to some high quality speakers--much higher than you would find in any HTIB. "Package deal" is a misleading term, since most speaker manufacturers lists recommended systems, or packages, based upon price.

In short, IMHO, you are correct in assuming a pair of mains from one of the above companies would sound better than the mains from one of the "packages" you refer to.

It is a very common practice to build a system slowly, using more expensive/higher quality pieces, rather than spending the same amount on an entire 5.1 package right away. One of the benefits to this is that you could move the bookshelf mains you buy now to the rear later, when you buy larger speakers from the same line. I would, however, get a center channel with your initial purchase if HT is a priority.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
keep the concept of "timbre matching" in mind.
timbre-matched speakers means that all the speakers "sound" the same. this is usually done utilizing the same drivers and technology in all the spakers (mains, center, & rear).
this way, when sound pans from the left speaker to the center, the sound will remain steady. in other words, the motorcycle engine doesn't sound like a moped when it gets to the center speaker. :)
most "packaged" systems are timbre-matched at the factory. but, if you're careful, you can certainly put together a system piece-by-piece that is also timbre matched. typically, buying speakers from the same manufactuer and model line will yield the same results.
you typically don't have to timbre-match the sub.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Try to purchase your "5 basic" hometheater speakers together to make sure they are timbre matched. You can go with a package like those from Axiom, Ascend acoustics, or go with sets that are prefered by other companies like Paradigm, or B&W.

The reason to buy your 5 of the 5.1 together is to eliminate the chance that the manufacturer does an "update" to their line and you have version 1 fronts with a version 2 center or surrounds.

With speakers, make sure you buy as much speaker as you can afford because you cannot make up for bad speakers with good componenets.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Frank, I've heard all these speakers you've mentioned and personally thought the Ascend (assuming you're talking about the 170, just a slight so very slight balance to the bright but still an excellent speaker) was better balanced speakers than the others you mentioned (followed by Paradigm, B&W, and then the Klips though this is imho only). Though these are great speakers for the dollar, you might want to make a decision about the matching electronics first (assuming you settled on one) as this may play the biggest role of how synergistic of a match your system will become.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Thx, guys for the responses. It's really hard to make a decision when you can't listen/audition a set of speakers such as the packaged deals. You have to rely on what others say about them. It's just that $700 is a pretty good price for a set of 5 speakers (the Ascend Accoustics). The local store here has a packaged set of Paradigm speakers for that same price using 4 "cinema" speakers (which I did not get to hear) and a cinema cc for the center. Just looking at their pictures, it does not look like as nice of a speaker as the mini monitor (although I could be wrong), which to me, would not make it a very good deal for that price.

I think that I will hold off right now and do more reading and listening. And probably have a few more questions/ramblings for you later on. Thx again, Frank.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Trey:
SUPER nice job on the DIY Rack and next Rack to be!!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Very very simlar to my Bello racks I just sold recently for some extra cash.
Where did you find the cut, curved, and polished edges, glass???
You must know someone in the glass field, or got them from an old glass rack?
[======================================]
Frank:
I agree with the answers you gotten to this point on speakers and how to go about your purchases....
Cheers
Geoff

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
It's really hard to make a decision when you can't listen/audition a set of speakers such as the packaged deals.
don't forget frank. any dealer worth anything will let you take take the speakers home, audition them and return them (with NO RESTOCKING FEES) if you're not happy.

if they don't...go elsewhere.

you're smart to do more listening if you're unsure. i always recommend people listen to as many different speakers as you can...just so you can get a "feel" for what's out there.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks