Paasonic RP91 vs Yamaha DVD S-1200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carter Legrave, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Carter Legrave

Carter Legrave Auditioning

I'm buying a $1000-1500 DVD Progressive scan player and have narrowed now my selection between the rp91 and the s-1200. I've heard rave reviews on the quality of the Panasonic RP91 but haven't really heard anything on the new yamaha s-1200 except for the sound&vision review on new progressive scan dvd players declaring it a fantastic unit. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. Bryan Williams

I have done some checking on this and at first glance, it appears that the units are identical. If you look on the Yamaha website and look at the online manual in pdf format, it is apparent that the manual for the S1200 is IDENTICAL to the manual for the RP91 (with the exception of the pictures of the actual unit). I suppose it is possible that Yamaha is using their own audio DAC's but I havent found anything on this. For all intensive purposes, it would seem that the S1200 is just a rebadged RP91 with a different faceplate, a higher price, and an orange LCD readout. I am a very pleased RP91 owner having gone through 3 buggy Denon DVD-2800's.

Cheers