PA speakers for home theater

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobP, Jan 8, 2006.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

My buddy came across a pair of Yamaha S115H II PA speakers. He has been wanting to set up a surround sound system in his basement for a while now and thought he could use these speakers. He knows NOTHING about audio and I dont know much more when it comes to pro audio. Maybe someone wouldn't mind taking a minute two to clarify a few things for me. Thanks in advance. For one I don't know how good an idea using pa speakers in a home theater would be? Also in order to set them up I would need a preamp and pro amp correct? Would I Be able to set these up with a regular HT reciever to check their sound quality before investing in a proamp? If so, the connectors on the speakers look like phono plugs, do they sell adapters for speaker cable?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That input is 1/4" unbalanced mono phono. Easy to make, buy a couple ar radio shack and solder the wires. I think center is negative? Yamaha has the manual for that on-line to tell for sure.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ectGroup_ID=99

http://www.yamaha.com/proaudio/home/...RODUCT,00.html

Pro speakers range from excellent to unrefined, and these are cheaper Yamahas and aren't the best for HiFi. Some pro stuff isn't really labored over trying to find the best balance between drivers and cabinet integration. Rack equipment with EQ's will correct the response and the goal is to fill a room with sound.

Some were certainly quite good - JBL had the Cabaret series, I had the 4628B, with a 15", 8" and 1" and they were really good, but ultimately I missed the imaging you get from a good set of monitors. That E145 woofer was incredible, and most pro stuff is bulletproof. (Some were built to a price point, though, and are quite cheap. Like anything else.)

One thing, most are very sensitive and can blow you out of a room with a couple of watts, so they might respond well to some tone control if the sound isn't what you hope.

Try them, you might like them, but ultimately I think they'll wind up as garage blasters or in the workout room.

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info and the tips. I'm going to try them out and let him decide if the ssound is good enough!

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Is he going to buy 5 of them to use for all the surround speakers? If not, then the biggest problem will be finding a center channel speaker to sound OK with those PA speakers as fronts.