P4 Mobo for HTPC- what to buy if I want to buy today?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm looking to rebuild my HTPC around an intel platform, just to see if I like it better than my current AMD Epox system (have had long standing problems with the AMD that some have credited to the VIA chipset).

I want to pick up a 2.4g Northwood P4 (with 512K cache), and was thinking previously about building this system around the MIS 845G MAX L (based on the 845G/ICH4 chipset). However- newegg is out of stock on the Max L, and while I could order the regular MAX version (without built in LAN), I figured I'd use the delay as an opportunity to pause and entertain suggestions.

Since the intel world is not my forte (every other system I've built was done around an AMD)- I thought I would post my question out here and see if I could determine what the hot intel board of the moment is...

I would like onboard LAN, but not required. I will be running a Radeon AGP, PCI capture card, and PCI M-audio Audiophile and the Pioneer 104 slot DVD drive (IDE). I have DDR sticks from Crucial sitting and waiting to go into the machine (CT3264Z265 bought for the 845G, but I assume they'll work in any DDR board). I don't plan to overclock or do anything silly-- just looking for a good solid platform at normal clock that supports the Northwood P4 Socket 478 and has minimal hardware hiccups or incompatibility.

Any suggestions, since I'm planning on ordering this weekend [today if possible]? Any reason to wait for something coming down the pipe?

-Vince

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Personally, I like Asus motherboards. Something like a P4B533 (Intel 845E chipset) would probably suit your needs. Get the P4B533-E if you want the on-board LAN option, this board also gives you RAID ATA-133 and IEEE 1394.

There are also new boards which incorporate AGP 8X and Serial ATA. Asus has the P4S8X (SiS 648 chipset) which offers 533MHz FSB, 3 DDR DIMM for PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 memory, 6 PCI, 1 AGP 8X with optional ATA133/RAID/Audio/LAN.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I have yet to see anything that seems to offer any "must reconsider" ammunition against the MIS 845G MAX L. Figured I'd try this post one more time before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

I have seen one or two mentions of the Asus P4B533 or the P4B266- but haven't really seen if this combo is good for HTPC hardware.

Anyone know of any hot new products I MUST consider besides these two?

-Vince

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Abit IT7-MAX2.

Accept no substitutes.

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

The upcoming A-Open motherboard with vaccum tubes! [​IMG]