P4 800mhz FSB Mobos- What's the hot pick?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Building a new system for audio/video production. Going with a 800mhz FSB P4. Looking at ASUS boards, as my HTPC is a P4 with Asus (533fsb)--- didn't know if anyone had any tips on the "hot shit" right now, or chipsets to look for/avoid...

-V

2. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

It would be awfully hard to go wrong with a P4P800. I have one and it runs fast and flawlessly. Or if you need to eek out an extra 2 or 3%, you could go with a P4C800-E.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I was looking pretty hard at the P4P800/P4P800-Deluxe but wasnt sure the diff between the deluxe and the standard board (also newegg seemed to have different prices and features for the retail versus the OEM stuff of the P4P800...). You know what the deluxe means, and how an OEM might be different?

IS there anywhere I can read up on the diff between the Intel 865PE and Intel 875P chipsets?

I have a pal who recently built a similar system around a MSI board which was getting good reviews- and I wondered if there was sort of an accepted "king of the hill" board for the 800mhz FSB P4s in the tweakers and geekers sect...

-V

4. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

The P4P800 Deluxe has the VIA IDE RAID, which may or may not interest you. The "standard" model only has Intel SATA RAID. I wound up getting the Deluxe, because I was in a pinch and that's all that was available locally. My guess on the OEM version is that you probably wouldn't get the software bundle (nothing to brag about), or the SATA power cable. There's only a miniscule (about 3% according to most sources) performance difference between the Canterwood (875) and Springdale (865) chipsets. I believe Anandtech has a few articles/reviews on the subject.
    Asusboards would be another place to check out for more information.

5. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Vince,

I have also found Toms Hardware is a great site for info on all type of HW.

Toms Hardware

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I still haven't got my money's worth out of my 533FSB CPU/motherboard and DDR333 RAM.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, this 60 page support thread on abxzone has me a bit scared:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1

Although, I'm not planning any hardcore overclocking. I was planning to buy Corsair RAm, but there seems to be a problem there. Ugh, maybe better to drop the extra $40 for the P4P800S-E Deluxe...

-Vince

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Before I found out half life 2 wasn't coming out this year I was all set to buy the P4C800-E board. But now I'm waiting till HL2 comes out.

If you have to choose between a board that has the intel raid and the via raid choose the intel. The intel sata interface doesn't sit on the PCI bus but on a different bus dedicated for the network and sata interfaces (CSA). I believe the P4P800 has a 3com gigabit ethernet interface that sits on the PCI bus instead of the new CSA dedicated bus. This could be a bottleneck when using the network, sound, and video cards all at the same time under a heavy load.

Also the memory boost for the 875 based boards I think is worth it if you want the absolutely best speed.

9. Eric Martello

The truth is, the Asus P4P800 Deluxe features some kind of enhancement that actually allows it to OUTPERFORM current Canterwood chipsets. It is not supposed to be faster, but it is, and it is much cheaper. I use this board and I love it. I recommend picking up a 2.4C, which has no troubles running at 3.0 GHz on stock voltage, stock retail CPU cooler. A 600 MHz overclock means you just saved about $300, plus you get a 1 GHz FSB...nice. [​IMG]

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I got the 2.6, 1 gig top line Corsair Ram and the system will be watercooled. I imagine I'm in a good position for overclocking. Too bad I've never tried it an have no real knowledge of how to do it. Any tips?

-Vince

11. Eric Martello

Basically, you just change the speed of the FSB (front side bus). Default for Pentium 4 is 200, which is "quad pumped" to 800. So if you have a 2.6 CPU, your multiplier is 2600 / 200 = 13, so you would probably want to start with 230 and see if your system will post. It can be a lot of trial and error. Oh, and before you try this I recommend setting your ram timings to SPD if you have not already done so.

When you restart and your system doesn't post (you just see a blank screen), you will need to open your case an reset the CMOS with the jumper. Unplug the computer before resetting the CMOS jumper. You just close the jumper for 1-2 seconds, then put it back in the default position. Check your motherboard manual for more info about that.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

14. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

15. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

The 865PE and the 875P are the same chip run off the same line. the 875P has ECC and PAT(performance acceleration technology) enabled.

16. Eric Martello

17. Eric Martello

18. Eric Martello

19. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

20. Eric Martello

Yes, PAT-like it is, but it is not actually PAT as is found on 875 chipsets.