What's new

P&S titles only at Walgreens now (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
AS I went into work yesterday, I saw a basket with about a dozen copies of Harry Potter. Excited to see it I picked one up and was contemplating about purchacing it. Then I look in the back and noticed it was the Full-Screen version.

I quickly put the disc back and punched in.

The Walgreens company only sells P&S versions of a movie, two weeks ago they only sold full-screen version of Ocean's 11

one of my manager is also a DVD ethusiast and also complained about P&S Harry Potter.

Needless to say, I am very upset that Walgreens decided to

go P&S

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To be expected in the current climate.

But not many people here would choose Walgreen's as their primary source for DVDs.

Did you express your concern to the manager of the store?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't wait... I mean, I am REALLY anxious for the day when 16x9 tv's rule, and all these people with their huge collection of pan and scan dvd's wind up with black bars on the left and right sides. On second thought, no, it probably won't happen. They'll hit their zoom buttons and be perfectly satiated watching horizontally stretched images. I am hoping for a "We told you so" day, but it may never happen.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
They'll hit their zoom buttons and be perfectly satiated watching horizontally stretched
Stretched? Not quite, but it will certainly be grainy.

Perhaps you are refering to the t.v. "unsqueezing" the dvd image, which is different from the zoom function on the dvd player. (Not to further confuse the issue, but anamorphic dvd's technically aren't "anamorphic"

BTW, I can't wait for this day either. I wonder how many people won't buy 16x9 t.v.s because "they cut off the top and bottom of the picture!" LOL!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Not to further confuse the issue, but anamorphic dvd's technically aren't "anamorphic"
Technically, yes they are. According to Webster's, "anamorphic" means: "producing, relating to, or marked by intentional distortion (as by unequal magnification along perpendicular axes) of an image." Anamorphic DVDs are intentionally vertically distorted, as they are designed to be horizontally distorted when viewed on a 16x9 set, bringing the image back to its proper dimensions. 2:1 anamorphic lenses aren't the only thing properly called "anamorphic"; anamorphic DVDs are named properly, as well.

DJ

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'd never think of Walgreens as a place to buy DVDs anyway.
But that still doesn't necessarily justfiy their actions. Thankfully, we don't have any Walgreens near me, or else I'd have to make a trip just to ... er ... see what the store is like. Yeah! That's it! :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not many people here, but the 'impulse buy' of DVDs of drug and grocery stores will be a larger and larger segment of the market.

Not a good sign.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Damin: So-called "anamorphic" DVDs are simply encoded to display all their available lines of resolution in a 16:9 window, properly proportioned. That's all. The most accurate way to describe such discs is "16:9-encoded." There's nothing akin to the anamorphic cinematography process at all. Some DVDs offer a 4:3 image natively, while others are authored at 16:9. JB

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I am REALLY anxious for the day when 16x9 tv's rule
...which disturbs me. If J6P can dictate the software, why would the TV manufacturers be quick to get complaints their way? Soon, Walmart will threaten that they won't see WS sets, blah blah blah. And with the lackadaisical acceptance of HDTV (which doesn't require a 16x9 set anyway) you've got a grim outlook for any imminent mass conversion to 16x9.

Thats why the hardline OAR stance is required. Its too easy to make the widescreen DVD a niche item much like the 16x9 TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks