What's new

P&S Conspiracy Theory (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Here's my take on this new trend for some movie studios to be releasing their DVDs in open-matte or pan & scan only format. Is it because of marketing research? I doubt it. I think there's something else at work here. But what is it? I came up with the following theory:
First, a quick look back in movie history. Movies used to be formatted in a 4:3 aspect ratio and had pretty poor sound. Come along the TV with the matching aspect ratio and equally poor sound and suddenly there's no reason to go to the theater. Everything they offer you can have at home. So studios make their movies better by offering widescreen formatting, surround sound, etc. in an attempt to get people back out to the theaters. TV can no longer compete with the movies.
Enter LD and eventually DVD and home electronics that provide movie picture and sound equal to or better than your local movie house. With widescreen and surround sound available at home why go to the theaters? So what can the studios offer to us at the theaters that we can't get at home? DTS? Got that. 7.1? Got that. 10.1? 16.2? 32.3? No matter what the theaters offer, it won't be long for that to become available on consumer electronics.
Don't want to go see that movie in the theaters because the crowds are annoying? Just wait 6 months and see it at home with better picture and sound. Now that DVD is becoming more popular and widescreen is available for all. Movie houses no longer have the advantage. Since they can't provide more that we won't eventually have ourselves, they are going to hold back those very things that gave them the advantage in the beginning. Now if you want to wait to see Cats & Dogs at home on a proper system without the multi-plex atmosphere, you only get P&S.
"No widescreen for you!" --WB (aka The Movie Nazi)
And there's no lone gunman in this conspiracy.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Movies used to be formatted in a 4:3 aspect ratio and had pretty poor sound.
You went to movie theaters in the 30s, 40s and 50s? You know for a fact that the sound was "poor"? What constitutes "poor" sound? Do you think people experienced it as "poor" if it was the best available at the time?
Your theory purports to be based on history, but it lacks genuine historical perspective. Not to mention that you've overlooked one critical fact: Studios make a lot of money from home video -- often more than they make from a feature's theatrical exhibition. They have no incentive to sabotage the home market.
M.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I use the term "poor sound" only in comparison to what is available today. Of course, since nothing better was available at the time, nobody thought it was poor. But hey, if it was great, how could you improve upon it?
They have no incentive to sabotage the home market.
Oh sure, you would bring up a really good counter argument.
wink.gif
This was just a theory that struck me late last night. I thought I'd share. Perhaps a little help to refine it a bit? Maybe there's a reason for the home market sabotage. I'm sure I'll come up with something for that later tonight.
I've heard that many studios are beginning to set up internet based pay-per-view systems. If that works out maybe there's a great deal of money to be had there. I don't know.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
Studios make a lot of money from home video -- often more than they make from a feature's theatrical exhibition. They have no incentive to sabotage the home market.
Three words that are their incentive: Pay Per View.
And guess who will be singing the prasies of this revolutionary format once they are able to deliver PPV via broadband... They recently played with thier Willy.
Daniel L

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think in the case of Cats and Dogs at least, this may be a "trial balloon" for their "Rental DVD" concept.
That is, first release a "Rental DVD" in P&S for the J6P masses and then 60-90 days later release a Widescreen SE for the collectors.
It will be very interesting to see if Warner releases a Widescreen SE of Cats and Dogs in the first Quarter of 2002.
Of course, this theory fails to explain why they would release a Collectors Edition of Willy Wonka in P&S ...
Perhaps this isn't a conspiracy after all. Perhaps it's just plain stupidity on the part of the Warner "executives".
Joseph

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Three words that are their incentive: Pay Per View.
In the future, maybe, but not today, and not soon. No corporate manager is going to put a major profit center at serious risk until and unless there's a replacement source already in place and already producing serious revenue. That ain't PPV in the foreseeable future (if ever).
M.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's an interesting theory that WB would give us a poor copy of C&D on DVD on the first release, in order to tempt us to go see the film in the theatre in OAR while we still can.
But it doesn't wash. If that was what they were going for, then Wonka would be in theatres right now for a "30th Anniversary celebration" or something.
Nah, I think WB's have just been snorting the wrong toot...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--Just wait 6 months and see it at home with better picture and sound.--
Sorry but the dastardly movie studio conspiracy falls apart right here. :)
------------------

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well I gave Cats & Dogs just as an example. I'm not implying that we're going to run to the theaters to see it in its OAR. But what if all home video releases were released 4:3 with just a few releases in widescreen (just like VHS). Well then the theaters certainly would have an advantage and be a viable alternative to watching at home. Suddenly the days of "home theater" are back to just a small screen with limited sound. Much the way the majority of the consumers currently watch it.
The current trend is going towards home theaters. With DVD becoming mainstream, many people are getting educated about "real" home theater. This potentially puts a big damper on the cinema business. Of course it does do wonders for the home video industry, but short sighted executives won't see that. With the majority of consumers perfectly content with VHS, they can effectively turn DVD into its VHS counterpart with little resistance.
No corporate manager is going to put a major profit center at serious risk until and unless there's a replacement source already in place and already producing serious revenue.
That's the sensible way of doing things, I won't argue with that. But if you want to make way for something that you find to be more profitable you have to give the consumer some reason to "invest" in it. With DVD out of the way, consumers will be ready to jump on its predecessor.
DIVX was marketed as a PPV system that Circuit City claimed to be backed by market research. WB and others are backing their P&S only titles with "market research." See the connection? This bogus market research is making way for yet another attempt at a PPV system. If DVD isn't all it's cracked up to be, people will look for something else.
The greatest thing about conspiracy theories is that they don't have to be sensible. :) If companies were involved in sensible conspiracies people would spot them right away. If it doesn't make sense at all then it's a built in cover up.
wink.gif

Now obviously I have no proof of this theory. And I, the author, don't even buy it 100%. I'm also not your typical conspiracy theorist. However, these WB and MGM incidents wreak of something awful in the works. Some conspiracy is just itching to come forward. This struck me one night while doing some pondering.
The truth is out there.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The greatest thing about conspiracy theories is that they don't have to be sensible.
It's certainly what makes them great for conspiracy theorists.
laugh.gif

Right now, the only "conspiracy" I believe in is the dastardly plan by all the major studios (and a few minor players like Anchor Bay) to separate me from vast amounts of cash by bringing out a string of great releases between now and year's end -- all in OAR.
eek.gif

M.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--Well I gave Cats & Dogs just as an example. I'm not implying that we're going to run to the theaters to see it in its OAR.--
Well, your theory that they would P&S DVD movies to encourage theatre viewing could still be viable. I started thinking to myself; what if Wierdo Brothers did put out a P&S only version of "Osmosis Jones", I would miss seeing it properly....so...okay
rolleyes.gif
I went out to see it in the theatre today. THEIR plan is working already....the bastards...and I fell for for it (hangs head in shame). :)
------------------

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Well, Warner Brothers WAS the studio behind the film Conspieracy Theory...but that disc offers P&S and LBX versions...
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks