Ozzy Osbourne's dogs attacked by a coyote.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jul 17, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Article here. Apparently one of the dogs was eaten, and Ozzy fought off the coyote attacking the other dog. What a bizarre situation.

I'd fight off a coyote too if I was in his position.

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

SHARRRRONN!!!!

3. Michael St. Clair

We've had some coyote attack dogs here as well.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

On last weeks show it was the cats being eaten by coyotes too. Guess they found a great food supply at the Ozzy household with all of the animals.

The preceding comment was not intended to be mean, just the fact that they will come back to a food source opportunity.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Coyotes attack pets around here too. They appear to be losing their fear of humans as we are unable to shoot back due to ever increasing regulations in urban-encroachment areas. If you call animal control over a stray german shepard, they come right out and deal with the situation. If however you call animal control over a wild coyote in a residential area, they tell you "too bad, it's natural so we don't have to deal with it. And by the way, neither can you."

I suppose we should go out and purchase our own Acme brand anvils....

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't think coyotes would dare come in my yard looking for foos due to 2 80 pound boxers and a bassett hound roaming around. I could be wrong because a fox did get in once and was promptly killed by my dogs. I know a coyote wouldn't hesitate to kill my 2 pugs though. My pug Trog would give a huge fight for his life because he's tough, but he would ultimately lose. My pug Rosie would get eaten easily because she's a wimp.

8. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Why didn't Ozzy just bite the coyote's heads off? [​IMG]

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

11. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

How big do coyotes get? I have 2 mastiffs and they each weigh 200+ lbs and 33 inches tall at the withers.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Coyotes look an awful lot like a scrawny German sheppard - I'd guess about 60-70 lbs for the ones I've seen close up.

EDIT from a wildlife site: "The coyote has the appearance of a medium-sized dog or a small German Shepherd. Coyotes are about one and a half to two feet tall and between forty-one and fifty-three inches long. Weight ranges from twenty to fifty pounds. They have a bushy tail that is tipped with black. Most are grey, but some show rust or brown coloration."

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    California also contains mountain lions. These are large animals which will attack & kill full size dogs. While visiting a friend in the outskirts of LA I saw one running up the mountain with a doberman in its jaws. Quite impressive...

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Mountain lions have also killed hikers in my area.

15. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

In the olden days, the Romans used mastiffs to fight against large wild animals like lions, tigers and bears. I think that was cruel, unnecessary and horrible.

Thanks for the info on coyotes, by the way! I have never seen one, so I guess they look a like wild stray dog.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Beep-beep!

[​IMG]

Canis squashish-flatus-anvilus

I've seen these guys standing by the side of the road giving me a dirty look when I drive by up in Santa Cruz mountains......

17. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I remember back in the early 90's when living back on the "farm" (was really small, cattle grazing mostly) there would be some coyotes from time to time out toward the back fence. One of em got a calf a few days earlier.

One day my dad spotted one and he went to go get his 30.06. It was kinda eery, I don't know if he missed intentionally or not, but he fired the gun, and you could see the coyote standing far off not doing anything, you could tell though that the instant the sound hit, that bad boy never ran so hard in his life! [​IMG] We didn't have very many encounters after that day.

18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

We have these critters all over here in Colorado, they howl all night in their little packs as they cruise the neighborhoods. I've seen one or two a couple times when walking our 2 dogs, luckily my dogs were leashed. Coyotes are extremely smart and despite size differences, in a pack they can kill just about any size dog. What they do is send out the smaller ones to attract a family dog into a playful game. As they play, the coyote leads the dog to a designated spot where the pack is hiding and well, they kill/eat your dog. Just to give you an idea of how smart they are, this is not a wild predatory tactic, it is one they have adapted for use on domestic pets specifically.

It doesn't matter what size dog you have, once the pack is circling and a coyote get it's teeth around your dog's throat it is over. A 200 lb Mastiff that can't breathe dies just as easily as a shit-zu that can't breathe. Wolves take down moose in the wild this same way, that size difference is even more pronounced...

If I saw one come on my property (over a fence), I would shoot it no questions asked. When the police showed up I would say it was advancing on my 2 yr old, ain't a law or judge in existence that can prohibit you from defending your own child from imminent danger [​IMG]