Ozzie Smith to HOF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_G, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

god, i wonder how ted williams will be p!$$ing and moaning about this just like he did last year when bill mazeroski, the best fielding 2nd baseman of all time, was elected. sorry ted, but it doesn't say "hitters" hall of fame, just "hall of fame". i'm surprised he allows pitchers in there too!!

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Good for the Wizard of Oz. He was a great player and is a class act. I assume he will go into the Hall as a Cardinal since he played for many more years in St. Louis than in San Diego, won a World Series in St. Louis ('82) and none in San Diego, and retired as a Cardinal.

I have an unopened 1979 Topps rack pack with a mint Ozzie Smith rookie card on top. Unfortunately, I doubt it is worth as much these days as it was a few years back. The sports memorabilia market seems to have cooled off.

5. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

Oz deserves the award. He was definitely a team player all the way. I was fortunate enough to meet him in person a couple of years ago at his restaurant in St. Louis. It was New Years Eve and he and his family were enjoying themselves in a private room next to us. We asked our waiter if he could get his autograph for us. Class act that he was, he invited us into a private office and not only signed autographs but took pictures with us. Great player, gracious man. Congrats Ozzie![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Good for Ozzy. A remarkable defensive career, and a decent contribution offensively with over 500 stolen bases, almost 2500 hits (although I don't think he ever hit .300, so that's more due to longevity than anything). It is hard to suppress a chuckle though to read that he has a career total of 28 home runs. [​IMG]
    KeithH, KC won the series in '85, no? My recollection is that it was an all Missouri WS. I also recollect some trivia about it being the first all-astroturf series as well.

7. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mitty, right! I always forget that the Royals stole that World Series with the controversial call at first base. For some reason, I want to think that the Cardinals did win that Series. I do remember the cover of Sports Illustrated back then showing Bret Saberhagen and crew celebrating the Royals "win".

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The real snub in voting went to Alan Trammell. His career offensive numbers are much better than Ozzie's, and Trammell was also an excellent defensive shortstop. Ozzie got 91.7% of the vote, while Trammell only got 15.7%. I don't doubt Ozzie's qualifications, but if he's a Hall Of Fame shortstop, then so is Trammell. His lifetime batting average was .285 (vs. .262 for Smith), and he had 157 more home runs and 210 more RBI than Ozzie. They played a comparable number of years (Trammell 20, Smith 19). Trammell was also MVP of the 1984 World Series. Smith had 13 Gold Gloves, while Trammell was awarded four.
    Yes, Smith was a great defensive player. However, he was not that much better defensively than Trammell and his offensive capabilities were no where near as good as Alan's.
    This is not to say that Ozzie Smith does not deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame. Instead, this shows that some great players get ignored because they were not as flamboyant on the field. Trammell belongs in the Hall, too, and getting only 15% of the vote is ridiculous.

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

12. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

13. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor