What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
So I've got some news for these upcoming Ozzie & Harriet releases. I called MPI yesterday and amazingly the receptionist put me through to the VP of sales when I inquired about the O&H season sets coming in May. I kinda stretched the truth and made it sound like I was involved in purchasing media for a shop in LA. Anyhow, once I got through for a short 1 minute conversation I was told MPI's general, long-range plans for releasing the series.

Good News: They will be releasing the entire series, which is all but finished in terms of clean-up and prep.

Bad News: After these initial releases in May, they will be selling the remaining seasons in half-season sets. And they will only be releasing one season per year due to the poor condition of the economy right now. He said it's the only way they can be sure not to lose their shirts in this deal. So we'll be getting two sets per year, but those sets will only half-season sets. So it will take some time before we have the entire series.

Gary "how does everyone feel about that decision from MPI?" O.
Wow! Are you sure about this??? We have waited over 10 years from the original announcement by Sam Nelson and now it might be over 10 years before all 14 seasons are out. I can understand another 3 or 4 years maybe, but more than that. Is MPI definitely releasing all 14 or is still depending on how the earlier sets sell? I was sure Sam was planning on releasing the entire 14 seasons at some point. After all the time, work and effort put into this, I can't imagine the plans would change.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
So I've got some news for these upcoming Ozzie & Harriet releases. I called MPI yesterday and amazingly the receptionist put me through to the VP of sales when I inquired about the O&H season sets coming in May. I kinda stretched the truth and made it sound like I was involved in purchasing media for a shop in LA. Anyhow, once I got through for a short 1 minute conversation I was told MPI's general, long-range plans for releasing the series.

Good News: They will be releasing the entire series, which is all but finished in terms of clean-up and prep.

Bad News: After these initial releases in May, they will be selling the remaining seasons in half-season sets. And they will only be releasing one season per year due to the poor condition of the economy right now. He said it's the only way they can be sure not to lose their shirts in this deal. So we'll be getting two sets per year, but those sets will only half-season sets. So it will take some time before we have the entire series.

Gary "how does everyone feel about that decision from MPI?" O.
Good news/bad news I guess.
As long as I get all the seasons with Don DeFore in them within two years at a reasonable price, I'll be happy.
Any other timely releases (other than one season a year) would be gravy.

Don't get me wrong, there many episodes I like after that in the College/Lawyer/Music Video years, but I prefer the earlier seasons, much like I prefered the earlier Home Improvement seasons, especially regarding the sons interactions with their dad, as well as the scripts being somewhat fresher.

Since I don't think next year's half-seasons will be selling for $12, I'm somewhat curious as to what the total cost for next year's whole season will be.
Granted, it may take some extra funds to fix the older prints, but as time marches on, the younger generations will have even less interest in old-outdated B&W sitcoms (according to them) than they even do now.
If given a choice of the two, some older more devoted fans, as well as newbies may favor the the college/music video years over the early years, or vice versa.
At this point, that's why I think any Nelson who will financially benefit from these upcoming Nelson Family releases should each take out a small mortgage on their properties, pool the money, and release a box set within two years, thus, lumping both Nelson-era camps into one purchase while the iron is at it's hottest!!!:rolling-smiley:
After all, fans did their part with donations to the kick-starter campaign, maybe now they'll be a little more prudent with their own funding, than they were with ours.
Worst case scenario, it would be a tax write-off, no?

Meanwhile, back to reality...I guess I'll just settle for two full seasons of Thorny, and leave it at that....

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
1E4628FD-9984-4CC7-B6B3-C726E1503681.jpeg

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Guys… Gary’s post about talking to MPI and being told it would take a decade to release the series…it’s an April Fools Day post…
Unfortunately, many people are still going to read that post long after April 1st, and wont get the joke, so its only going to add to the confusion. Hopefully, MPI will release all seasons soon so there won't be any more misunderstandings.
This reminds me that the once popular (but now defunct) website, tvshowsondvd.com, used to put a disclaimer up on their page saying that they wouldn't play any jokes on April Fool's Day about new DVD releases.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Unfortunately, many people are still going to read that post long after April 1st, and wont get the joke, so its only going to add to the confusion. Hopefully, MPI will release all seasons soon so there won't be any more misunderstandings.

I disagree that my one post is going to lead to a bunch of long-range misunderstandings. I mean, the only way that happens is if people literally don't read one more post after mine in the thread. And that doesn't seem likely at all.

This reminds me that the once popular (but now defunct) website, tvshowsondvd.com, used to put a disclaimer up on their page saying that they wouldn't play any jokes on April Fool's Day about new DVD releases.

But they were an actual money-making website. That's a far cry from an internet message board. Apples and oranges.

Gary "we'll know the general release schedule plans as soon as Season 3 goes up for preorder" O.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
This is the first time I've seen the full-season sets being offered on eBay. Season 1 is at the link below. They are selling for $36.87 each including shipping, but + tax as pre-orders. I went ahead and pre-ordered mine from Amazon for $23.00 + tax about a week ago. I'm really looking forward to these!

Note that in the listing's description it says:

""For the very first time, in association with the Nelson family, the entire series has been digitally restored.....""

So, if this is true, then maybe the release schedule will be faster than anticipated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115348863691?epid=13053071589&hash=item1adb53facb:g:9gAAAOSwuAdiXSmw

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Looking forward to these DVD's, release date is about a month from now. Sounds like the episodes are going to be complete and not edited so most likely I will buy seasons 1 and 2 after they are released.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MPI press releases typically come a couple weeks before product availability and orders on their own website usually don’t get turned on until much closer to street date.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
means not availabe yet
MPI press releases typically come a couple weeks before product availability and orders on their own website usually don’t get turned on until much closer to street date.
What better way to build anticipation than to announce a product only a few weeks before the release date and what better way to create pre-orders than to list the item as being SOLD OUT on your website.
icon_e_doh.gif

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What better way to build anticipation than to announce a product only a few weeks before the release date and what better way to create pre-orders than to list the item as being SOLD OUT on your website. View attachment 135162
their new honeymooners dvd is sold out too

Attachments

• FLHm771WQAUViqo.jpg
    FLHm771WQAUViqo.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks