1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ozzie & Harriet

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by -, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    scam means he started out thinking he was going to come up with this whole skeem to get a little money from fans of the show. don't really think he'd do that. that's why it's not a scam.

Tony Bensley and Gary16 like this.
  2. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    I would agree. I think he got in over his head and it was probably just too much of a project for him to undertake. I hope those who contributed money at least received some gifts(autographed pictures, CDs, etc.).

Radioman970 and Tony Bensley like this.
  3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    While I've never participated in one, it seems to me that Kickstarters by their nature, aren't guaranteed to reap any returns. You pay your money and take your chances. That said, what a shame this one has never beared any fruit! :(

Radioman970 likes this.
  4. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I didn't express myself well. What I meant was, how can an honest plan along these lines be differentiated from a scam?

I'm not saying it was a scam, but we have no way of knowing. Anyone can do this kind of thing and then claim, "Hey, I INTENDED to restore a TV series (or whatever), I just couldn't do it!"

5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    that is true. even a relation to the family. no way to know really.

i wish he'd hand it off to someone or get some help.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  6. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    I've never contributed to a Kickstarter that didn't make the funding required, knock on wood. I'm happy to have been a part of the Tadlow project to re-record the entirety of Rozsa's "King of Kings", though. I didn't do this O&H one for some reason. Very sad he couldn't make it. I would have bought the DVD sets for sure. However, if it had been "Adventures in Paradise" I'd have ponied up quite a sum, win or lose.

7. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I was just reading about Star Citizen! How about that one?! all that money...

8. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    It's worth noting that he was offered help and refused it.

Radioman970 likes this.
  9. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    Rick Nelson's birthday is today. He would have been 79.

10. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

The whole project was a pipe dream from the start. People believed because they wanted to believe and because he was a member of the Nelson family. That made him no more qualified to tackle a project of this magnitude than an offspring of a professional athlete would be qualified to play a sport in they had no talent. But then, I was criticized for pointing any of these things out.

11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    wondering what qualifications he does have... what made him think he could do it?

12. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    A scam requires intent to defraud. Work may actually have been done and money spent, but the mechanics of an actual release failed to fall into place. This did prove the sceptics right though

13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

He didn't have any qualifications. He didn't have money, AFAIK. He didn't have any experience working in the TV industry or in home video. He just happened to be a family member, the youngest grandson of O&H, and he took the initiative to attempt the project. Unfortunately, he was ill equipped to take on a project of such magnitude and was completely over his head. He didn't have a clue as to the enormous expense involved in such an undertaking nor did he even understand such insurmountable problems like the entire series being public domain or the fact that for more than half the run, there are songs in every episode which are owned by music publishers and have to be licensed and cleared. I don't believe it was intended as a scam. Just someone with good intentions who bit off far more than he could chew.

By the way, I still laugh at his quote during the initial announcement. "Everybody knows who Ozzie and Harriet are". Yeah, everybody over 60. Go ask a hundred people under 50 and see if you can find one who knows them.

Tony Bensley, Radioman970 and Jack K like this.
  14. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'm 45 and know good and well who they are.

timk1041 likes this.
  15. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

People here are TV fans and are kind of the exception. I meant 100 random people who aren't us.

Tony Bensley, Radioman970 and Jack K like this.
  16. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I think of that every time I start rattling off on the radio about a celeb with a birthday. Who are the listeners, have to ask myself every time. Although it can be fun explaining who they are and that becomes the bit. If only they could sell it that way, attach it to some other thing somehow. Before there was so&so there was....OZZY AND HARRIET! I don't guess that would have worked with the Ozzie Osborne show.

Lost in America. Albert Brooks trying to connect with that guy at the unemployment office. The guy didn't know what Easy Rider was but he knew what Easy Money was. That Rodney Dangerfield! lol