Ozzie & Harriet

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by -, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Hey Gary, just wanted to say it's great to see you popping up on a forum. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a great start to 2017!

And now, back to the great Ozzie and Harrriet debate....

Gary OS and Flashgear like this.
  2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Will be coming up soon on the 6th anniversary of the start of Sam Nelson's project. Good intentions plus no capital equals an unfortunate outcome.

By the way, as a minor side note, all of the Ozzie's Girls, save for the pilot, which was filmed, not taped, are missing and unable to be located.

3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    That's very sad news, regarding OZZIE'S GIRLS! So, quite possibly, its post pilot episodes are completely non extant?

Perhaps, at some point, I'll look into getting more of the Mill Creek Public Domain material, as any proper release of THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET Season sets don't appear to be at all forthcoming! Very sad and disappointing, indeed! :(

CHEERS! :)

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Not surprising that this fizzled. Sam's heart was in the right place but he was clearly over his head from the get go. This project needed a deep pocketed label backer which he reportedly rebuffed at one point.

It's a shame because the results could have been spectacular if done the right way.

Gary OS, BobO'Link, DaveHof3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    As I always point out: O&H began on TV in 1952, which is 65 years ago. In 1952, "65 years ago" was 1887. Imagine how many people in 1952 were clamoring for the mediocre popular culture of 1887, and you'll get an idea of how many people today have an interest in the "adventures" of O&H.

It doesn't make me happy, but I know people in their 40s who never heard of "I Love Lucy," so you can imagine what "Ozzie and Harriet" means to them.

Brother Theodore likes this.
  6. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I guess back to getting episodes off youtube.:wacko:

7. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Maybe Sam should be seeking to reconnect with the deep pocketed label backer he brushed aside to help restart this effort to get O&H out on DVD.

Steve...O likes this.
  8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

That puts it into a proper perspective. Like people I know who complain about oldies stations dropping 50s music. 1955 is now 62 years ago and that would be like an oldies station in 1972 playing the music of 1910. They make the argument that its still the rock era but that just doesn't work. Lets be honest. The majority of the folks who watched shows when they originally aired in the 50s are either in the home or in the ground (or in Florida) now. Yes, the show ran longer than any other sitcom in history but that was mainly due to being on ABC as the show cracked the Top 30 only once. It had minimal syndication to begin with and none over the last 30 years. During the deluge of reruns during the 80s cable explosion, it was one of the very few which was still largely absent. And to top it all off, the entire series is in the public domain and has tons of music clearance issues as well.

Brother Theodore likes this.
  9. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I must strongly disagree with your comments about Ozzie and Harriet fans. My wife and I were kids in the 50s (she wasn't my wife then) and we are alive and kicking in our late 60s. We still listen to the 50s channel on Sirius/XM, we watch and remember shows like O&H, Beaver, I Love Lucy and 77 Sunset Strip and Perry Mason etc along with shows and music from the 60s and early 70s. We are not in a home or in the ground or in Florida. And friends of ours in the same age bracket have similar taste and are also not in a home, ground, or Florida.
    While Ozzie and Harriet's household ratings may have been held down nationally by ABC's poor affiliate lineup, the show was indeed top 10 or 20 in major markets. They were given a 10-year deal because of their highly successful radio series that established the format for the TV show. Ricky's singing career didn't explode overnight because no one saw him sing "I'm Walking" on the show in 1957.

ChrisALM, Rodney, LouA and 3 others like this.
  10. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'm sure I'll be accused of throwing barbs and crying to mods when I disagree with you, but there is a difference. Mass media was hardly known in 1910 other than newspapers, magazines, and books. Today we have recordings back to the 1920's with labels like Rounder and Bear Family releasing said recordings. Yes, 1955 was 62 years ago, but comparing 2017 and 1955 to 1955 and 1893 is like comparing apples and oranges.

My mother is sitting in the house with me in the rocking chair, so she's not in the ground, a home, or in Florida. My dad and his wife are a couple of hours away and the same goes for them. I know a lot of people who grew up in that era. They're not dead. They're not in a home. They're not in Florida. Quit assuming and taking a Negative Nancy attitude every time you get a chance.

Now is Ozzie and Harriet going to sell if released? I'll have to agree with you that the cost to overcome music rights issues and restore the show back to a presentable fashion for DVD is probably going to negate the show seeing the light of day barring a major miracle. Never say never, but you have a very salient point. I'm not so contrary that I'm going to disagree with you when you have a point.

One other point to make that I have not saw you address, though Joe did seem to think of it. Sure, there are people 40 and below who don't know "old" stuff, but that doesn't mean all people in that category do. I'm 43. I grew up hearing about all of these old shows, and in many cases, I watched them on television in reruns. My 19 year old son knows what classic television is; he's been known to dig in my DVD's and pick out The Beverly Hillbillies. Don't paint every younger person with a broad stroke, folks!

DaveHof3, ChrisALM, Steve...O and 6 others like this.
  11. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Most of the time Ricky sang at the end of the show and it didn't really have anything to do with the particular episode. Once in a while his songs were in the body of the show, or might have something to do with the plot. I would miss his singing as I am a big fan, but editing them out wouldn't really hurt the narrative of most episodes, if that made them easier to put on home video. Many of his songs were on the volumes put out by Shout Factory..

12. 772 May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    So... the 3 Shout! Factory releases (Essentials and Christmas) and the 100 eps Mill Creek... is that the ones to get during the looooOOOOooong wait..? I just ordered these but can cancel...
    edits: it ends being $32.50. The shouts are new and the MC used, they countered my low balls with $13. I think I only have the O&H on those TV Guide sets. very little. So this is a real treat!

Wishing Sam good luck as well. I'll buy those released too certainly!

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That's what I have. While I'd love to have more I can certainly "make do" with them if necessary.

I grew up watching the show and saw some episodes in syndication (don't know just when or what channel but it's been sometime within the past 30 years). I listen to 50s music along with 30s,40s, 60s, 70s, 80s (in spite of it being a rather dreadful decade for rock), 90s and 2000s (my basic cutoff - I'm sure there's good stuff out there from the 10s but I don't have time to listen to the 1500+ discs I already own, have lots more from the 60s/70s I want to acquire, so pretty much stopped actively seeking out newer material a few years back unless it's from an established artist I already collect). I rarely listen to radio because no station ever has played what I truly want to hear and most repeat songs far too frequently, even the "oldies" stations who have a very deep catalog from which to pull. It's gotten to be pretty much the same situation with TV shows and movies. I live in a home (mine) and my den is in the basement. That puts me in a home and underground... I have relatives in Florida but have no desire to relocate to that state. My parents live 6 miles away in a home - theirs.

The sad fact is that, in spite of being a "boomer" - a group having far more disposable income than the more desirable younger demographic, corporate America no longer chases my dollars. That, coupled with the slowly dying physical media market, points to the likelihood for a proper O&H release being slim to none. I hope Sam pulls it off but I don't expect to ever see anything released from his efforts. Had he made a distribution deal and turned the project over to people who do this for a living I feel we'd have seen a few releases. Even then, and in spite of me being a fan who would purchase anything that's released, I don't think sales would have been strong enough to support the full series being released.

14. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    While the show was never widely syndicated (due to poor efforts on the syndicator's part), the show had a good run on The Disney Channel (back when the channel honored its studio history rather than ignoring it) in the late 80s. Harriet did a new intro and I'm thankful I recorded as many as I could back then.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  15. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

The sad thing is that even if a ME-TV or any of the other digital subchannels wanted to legitimately buy the show, I don't think there is any syndicator even offering it at this point. Considering the legacy of the show as the longest running sitcom in history, it really is a shame how poorly the show has been handled since going off ABC. Even when it was syndicated, instead of being with a big syndicator, it was with the little All-America Television. As for the lack of copyrighting, well Ozzie really should have known better.

ChrisALM, Jeff*H, Steve...O and 2 others like this.
  16. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    The syndicator was American International Television. I even wrote to them back then asking why the show was running mostly on UHF independent low-rated stations. They wrote back and basically said they were giving the show their best efforts (wrong).
    I also wondered why the show never had a daytime network run when other sitcoms from that era did (I Love Lucy, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, etc.).

17. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Alpha Video is up to 23 volumes of O&H. 5 episodes per disc. Some of the latter volumes contain episodes that are new to DVD. Unfortunately, its like the Scooby Doo or Carol Burnett situation where you have to buy episodes you already have just to get a new episode.

18. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    And even with 23 volumes they've only gotten through about 25% of the episodes.

19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I agree that the songs should be there if by some miracle we ever get season releases for this show, Rick's songs from the show are available on an excellent DVD.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  20. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Gary16 is correct about O&H's ratings.

In the '50s and '60s, the trade paper Variety would report on national ratings, and also provide city-by-city ratings. In some cities, ABC had far and away the most shows in the Top 20. Nationally, it didn't do well, solely because ABC only had a fraction of the affiliates that CBS and NBC did.

I also read, many years ago, that whenever Ozzie told ABC that Ricky wanted to quit the show, ABC told Ozzie it was nice working with him. Apparently, once the teenage girls started going for him, Ricky was the only real attraction that accounted for the show's 14-year run.

Tony Bensley and Gary16 like this.