Ozzie & Harriet, The Jack Benny Show DVD's?

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Hello all,

Are there any good quality Ozzie & Harriet TELEVISION Show & The Jack Benny TELEVISION Show DVD's out there?

Thanks!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Jack Benny Program? No. Not the TV version anyway. The audio of many of the radio episodes from the 1940s and 1950s episodes are in excellent condition though.

Ozzie & Harriet? Don't care.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Chas, there are no official releases of either show on the market; everything that you see available is of the public domain variety, meaning that syndication prints are used as the source material rather than original film elements so, from an audio/visual quality point of view, you're not getting a top quality presentation. Also, there is much, much duplication of episodes on these type of releases among the various releasing companies; essentially, they'll put out whatever they can get their hands on. The PD releases of "Ozzie & Harriet" are particularly frustrating in that some releases have Rick Nelson's original music numbers and some don't. Sometimes, the opening theme music is replaced, sometimes it's intact. Sometimes orignal commercial are included, sometimes they are not. Also, among the few O&H episodes that have surfaced on these releases, very few of them are from the early years of the show which, IMHO, were the better episodes when the Nelson boys were younger. Most of the episodes available on these releases are from the later years.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
I have several of the Ozzie & Harriet public domain releases both the picture and sound aren't very good although I still enjoy watching them because that is all that is out there.the quality on these public domain releases are about the equvilant to some tapes I recorded off the tv back in the 80's on the other hand I would pony up some cash in a second for a official studio release.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Many public-domain DVDs exist of Jack Benny's TV series. Almost all of them exhibit fairly-crappy video quality, but they are still worth having, IMO.

Possibly the best-quality Benny videos are actually on VHS (issued in 1994 by Universal). Those tapes, all featuring Benny shows from the early 1960s, have pretty nice PQ.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...e=ReviewDetail

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This 3-Tape VHS pack is also pretty good (with some earlier JB broadcasts)......

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Typing of public domain, there are over 900 episodes of Jack Benny's radio show in Mp3 format online, so that ought to keep you busy in the meantime.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
OTR Cat is great if you want to pay for the Jack Benny radio shows (and certainly to use as an episode list), but you can get the same episodes for free here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...Aradioprograms

Note that it's in several different archives. The show took a few years to evolve, with the Jello-O sponsored shows in 1936 being the impetus of Jack's stingy character. That's also when the sound recording technology notably improved. The best shows are from the Grape Nuts period (1942 to 1944) and of course the later years with Lucky Strike (1944 to 1955) and it was also the same sponsor that went into Benny's TV era for a few years starting in 1950.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
There are aprox. 20 episodes of Jack Benny that Critic's Choice video has digitally restored. They may be worth checking out:
http://search.deepdiscountdvd.com/se...71&search.y=13

Critic's Choice has also cleaned up and digitally restored a few episodes of Television's finest shows from the 1950s including:
'Private Secretary' 'The Adventures of Robin Hood''The Loretta Young Show''Burns and Allen Show''The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet' and a few others.A quick title search at the provided link should bring up the other television series that I mentioned.(The site is a little screwy right now with the 'big sale' going on so you may have to make several attempts at a search.)None of these shows are available in season sets except for the 1st season of the Loretta Young show.(Critics' Choice has also released two 'TV collections' consisting of 26 episodes apiece of the "Hopalong Cassidy" television series that starred William Boyd in 1952.)
While most of these gems may not be season releases,they may be all we ever see of these almost 'lost' tv shows that were once a staple in everyone's living room.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Have you seen those yet, Brett? The low prices and cheap package designs are strong indications that they are not really "digitally remastered" as Critic's Choice claims. And they can't be since it also contains Jack's first post-series TV special from November 1965 that guest-starred The Beach Boys, Bob Hope, and Walt Disney -- a show that was originally shot on color videotape, and all they have is the crappy-looking black & white kinescope copy.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen them yet but will in a few days as I ordered one of each of the 'Robin Hood','Jack Benny' and 'Ozzie and Harriet' releases just to check out the quality. I'll let everyone know how they look when they get here.
A few of these releases have been out for awhile so that may be why the prices are so low but I can't really go by the price as an indication of quality. After all DDD supposedly has the cheapest prices around.

I'm anxious to check 'em out!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
While it's true that Deep Discount DVD does have the lowest prices in many cases, they still can only go below a certain price. Those Jack Benny discs retail at $10 apiece. If Universal were to release them by season they would retail for at least four times that and also have 30 to 39 episodes. The ones you mentioned are not even on the Universal label, so they are no doubt all in the public domain.

But there are some really good episodes regardless of their un-remastered video quality.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Brett, Critics Choice Video is really a mixed bag as they release a combination of public domain and licensed TV shows. As you might expect, the public domain releases are variable, some look OK while others not so great, however they're all watchable . . . just don't expect pristine quality on these. Another company offering older TV shows along the same lines as Critics Choice is Alpha Video; link: http://www.oldies.com/genre-view/tv.html
Like Critics Choice, audio/visual quality is all over the map but there are some rarities among their TV catalog.

Back to Critics Choice . . . last year, CC began to offer licensed television shows and these are a major step up from their PD releases, including "Dangerous Assignment," "Hopalong Cassidy," and "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon." CC will release season 1 of "The Adventures of Jim Bowie" next Tuesday (unfortunately, after the DDD sale is over) and the company supposedly has "The Real McCoys" in the pipeline. So CC is starting to become a real player as far as classic/vintage TV-on-DVD is concerned.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I've always wanted to see the Rod Serling episode from Benny's TV show, but--between the PD releases and Universal tapes--I don't think it's ever been issued on home video.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
UPDATE...

I just purchased the 3 Ozzie & Harriet above mentioned Critics Choice DVD's.

They are better than anything out there! not perfect, but quite enjoyable!

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I have a 5 disc set of Jack Benny Madacy put out. 24 episodes of okay quality. I'm guessing it's PD because it was only $20 at Best Buy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarajohnson10