Ozzie & Harriet Release From Sam Nelson?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Can anyone help with this. When was R J Reynolds Tobacco (the makers of Salem cigarettes) a sponsor of the show. This YouTube clip suggest they were at some time.

So it was Bob LeMond on this sponsor billboard, otherwise, Cy Harrice was the voice-over announcer for the Salem spots!

Reactions: Flashgear

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Here, Josh..

"Here Come The Nelsons"- Part 1 (To watch full screen, at the Vimeo site, click on the blue title at the top of the video window.)

Part 2

Part 3

Here's the episode with the Salem commercial. S10E16 Feb.1,1962.

Last edited:

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I pulled out my Mill Creek set yesterday and watched a few episodes of Ozzie And Harriet . I'm sure we can safely say that the "restoration project " (SN). is over , done , and has left the station .
So , can anyone here suggest the best way to get as many of the 425 produced episodes as possible ?
I know this program is Public Domain, and it seems like there are a lot of episodes floating around.
Besides the Mill Creek 100 episode set , I also have all of the Shout factory sets .

mark-edk

Second Unit
There are quite a few floating around on the Internet Archive and youtube. Quality varies greatly; flaws may include a fractured flickers type jerky motion that suggests dropped frames; stretched out to wrong aspect ratio, overly dark or light, etc. But there are also titles that are quite watchable and some that beat the PD versions floating around on DVD. I've been going through my mp4 collection and re-doing titles that I can upgrade via downloads. And the price is right.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FYI, it looks like there are some season 1 episodes on Amazon Prime through the end of the month that aren’t included in any of the Shout Factory sets.

Had a question, maybe @Gary OS might know the answer? Why did Don DeFore leave the show? In the collection of episodes I’ve assembled, I’m past Thorny and I miss him!

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
FYI, it looks like there are some season 1 episodes on Amazon Prime through the end of the month that aren’t included in any of the Shout Factory sets.

Had a question, maybe @Gary OS might know the answer? Why did Don DeFore leave the show? In the collection of episodes I’ve assembled, I’m past Thorny and I miss him!
I’ve always heard it was because he wanted to devote more time to movies. I think it was for four or five years between him leaving Ozzie and Harriet and starting up in Hazel. So that wasn’t it.

Gary “ I agree with you Josh, Thorny was a great part of the series” O.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Did they ever do an episode with him departing or was it just one of those “here one week, never mentioned again the next” type of things so common then?

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

mark-edk

Second Unit
In his autobiography Ozzie says Don had requested to leave the show to devote full time to movies. I remember reading something where Don said that Ozzie never talked to him about staying on. The truth may be somewhere in the middle...or something else entirely. After DeFore left the show there were still a few episodes with Thorny that played at the start of the new season. One or two were maybe left over from the previous season's filming, but I once did a close inspection of those leftover Thorny episodes and at least one of the Thorny shows ('The Pool Table') had the new eagle design over the Nelson's fireplace that was introduced in that season. Which would mean he actually started to film a new season but for whatever reason he didn't get any further than one or two episodes and then he was gone.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
I pulled out my Mill Creek set yesterday and watched a few episodes of Ozzie And Harriet . I'm sure we can safely say that the "restoration project " (SN). is over , done , and has left the station .
So , can anyone here suggest the best way to get as many of the 425 produced episodes as possible ?
I know this program is Public Domain, and it seems like there are a lot of episodes floating around.
Besides the Mill Creek 100 episode set , I also have all of the Shout factory sets .
I bought a set a while back from a dealer on Ebay. It has 385 of the 435 episodes. Most have the original commercials from Hotpoint, Kodak, Quaker Oats, etc. along with plenty of episodes with Rick Nelson singing. Some are off copies from Mill Creek, Alpha and the Disney Channel. Most look like film transfers with unedited episodes. I believe I only paid a little over $50.00 for it. The only thing was the discs were sent in sleeves instead of cases, but with the price and quality, this might be the best O&H collection around.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw “The Ladder” - no doubt in my mind, Thorny is the best neighbor/friend/occasional foil in Ozzie’s gang. I’m glad I was able to pick up some more of the earlier episodes that he’s in.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Is the Mill Creek set "watermarked" in any way? I get annoyed at that watermark on the Alpha Video releases in general - they put it on the opening and end credits....

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39