Ozzie & Harriet Release From Sam Nelson?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
So just to confirm before I order - the Shout Factory set is the best place to start if I want to see what the whole thing is about?
I’d say yes. There were 3 different Shout releases. Any of them would be fine, but the one was a Christmas release.

Gary “you can’t go wrong with any of them” O.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m looking into a four disc set from Shout that seems to be called The Best Of The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet - that one ok?

I’m up for Christmas stuff but I usually wait til December before I start going there. I’m bah humbug most of the season and then a few days before I go crazy on Christmas.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I’m looking into a four disc set from Shout that seems to be called The Best Of The Adventures Of Ozzie & Harriet - that one ok?

I’m up for Christmas stuff but I usually wait til December before I start going there. I’m bah humbug most of the season and then a few days before I go crazy on Christmas.
Yep, that one would be recommended.

Gary “hope you enjoy it” O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Those Christmas episodes are gems, Ron. Ozzie & Harriet gave us multiple great Yuletide offerings, that’s for sure.

Gary “certainly agree with all your points” O.
I said 1952, but it was 1956. To be technical, it is a flashback to 1956 as Ozzie and Harriet say it's almost Christmas 1964 and that particular episode was 8 years prior. Rick sings "The Christmas Song" at the end; I'm watching that particular episode right now. I threw the episodes on a flash drive along with Christmas episodes from The Beverly Hillbillies, The Jack Benny Show (he causes poor Mel Blanc so much grief) and Petticoat Junction along with a Marlo Thomas Christmas movie from the 70's, a Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray Christmas movie, and two Christmas specials-a Bing Crosby one with the cast of Hogan's Heroes and one with The Carpenters. I put them on to play before I go to bed and fall asleep watching them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary, you’ve never steered me wrong. (Your prior Have Gun Will Travel recommendation has been quite good to me.) I’m gonna put you on speed dial for my 50s era TV needs. It’s quickly reestablishing itself as my favorite period of television.
Great news, Josh! Always willing to lend a helping hand.

Gary “50’s TV gets the slight nod over 60’s TV in my book as well” O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
At this time of year I'm not yet thinking about Christmas O&H episodes because we still have All Hallows Eve to celebrate.

There is an OZZIE radio show episode about Halloween and a moment in the beginning that I always remember. Ozzie starts on a bit of rant with David and Ricky about how Halloween was so much better when he was younger. He actually gets kind of soft spoken then and almost quietly somber as he reminisces about the good old days of celebrating Halloween. He finally concludes by gently saying, "You know, a lot has gone out of the world since those days." To which Ricky replies: "You gonna cry, Pop?" :lol:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I said 1952, but it was 1956. To be technical, it is a flashback to 1956 as Ozzie and Harriet say it's almost Christmas 1964 and that particular episode was 8 years prior. Rick sings "The Christmas Song" at the end; I'm watching that particular episode right now. I threw the episodes on a flash drive along with Christmas episodes from The Beverly Hillbillies, The Jack Benny Show (he causes poor Mel Blanc so much grief) and Petticoat Junction along with a Marlo Thomas Christmas movie from the 70's, a Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray Christmas movie, and two Christmas specials-a Bing Crosby one with the cast of Hogan's Heroes and one with The Carpenters. I put them on to play before I go to bed and fall asleep watching them.
Agreed, Ron. The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet gave us many wonderful Christmas episodes. Not just one or two, but several really good ones. The one you are referencing, "Busy Christmas", is the best of them all. Sounds like you have a nice collection on that flash drive!

Gary "will get geared up for great Christmas viewing in the next few weeks" O.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
I prefer 1960's TV over 1950's TV, although the 50's does have it's share of good shows too. The one thing I don't care for much is westerns as I've never really been a fan of westerns although my movie serial collection has several titles that are westerns.

You Tube has some Ozzie & Harriet episodes including the series first episode "The Rivals" which also contains the original commercials. I've watched some episodes and they're pretty good.

Ozzie & Harriet is such a huge part of American TV history, 14 seasons and 435 episodes. The complete series DVD with all uncut episodes would be an awesome thing to have, but sadly it seems that it just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
YouTube is missing only about 60 or 70 episodes of O&H's 435. Many uncut as you say.

Here is an early Christmas episode from 1961. The uploader mentions this print is the 1963 rerun. There is a mention of Ricky dropping off Christmas cards for the customers of the milkman Ricky is helping out.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
YouTube is missing only about 60 or 70 episodes of O&H's 435. Many uncut as you say.

Here is an early Christmas episode from 1961. The uploader mentions this print is the 1963 rerun. There is a mention of Ricky dropping off Christmas cards for the customers of the milkman Ricky is helping out.

Thanks for adding that, Bob! Great stuff.

Gary "the one positive of these being PD is that they are all over the internet to watch" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can go for either 50s or 60s TV - especially comedy but some drama as well (I've never been a huge "drama" fan). When it comes to Westerns you really can't beat the 50s. There were some good ones in the 60s but not nearly as many and most of the better ones started in the 50s or very early 60s.

I *really* like The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet but my nod goes to The Burns and Allen Show by an incredibly small smidgen. Ozzie has nothing like Gracie and George's asides to the audience about what she's doing are superb.

Something that hit me the other day about The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet is it, long before Seinfeld, often feels like a show about "nothing." Stuff just kind of happens. There are dozens - likely hundreds - of shows that owe quite a lot to, and got their inspiration from, these early pioneers in TV.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It was sort of nice last night while I was watching them. My mother was off in her room, but I could hear her laughing at the show as I watching it. It makes me feel good when I get her laughing at something with her health issues.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No idea if I’ll get to sample the Shout set tonight but it did arrive. Looks like it has an episode or two from each season. I should still be able to follow it all even with all the set’s skipping around, right?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No idea if I’ll get to sample the Shout set tonight but it did arrive. Looks like it has an episode or two from each season. I should still be able to follow it all even with all the set’s skipping around, right?
Yes. Like most shows of that era there's little to no continuity you have to worry about. Were it not for the boys aging you could watch shows in any order and would likely never notice the difference.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryparnel