What's new

Ozzie & Harriet Release From Sam Nelson? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
No local station in NY ever picked up the show and when it ran in the 80s on TBS and Disney, most of NY outside Manhattan didn't have cable yet.
Thank u! And as I mentioned shows like Griffith Hogans Heroes shows like Lost In Space all had studios syndicating the shows Ozzie owned the show he never really did syndication did he?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
No local station in NY ever picked up the show and when it ran in the 80s on TBS and Disney, most of NY outside Manhattan didn't have cable yet.
My family living out in the country watched it in rural St. Lawrence County in upstate New York on the Disney Channel via cable when I was a kid in the mid 1980's. And it wasn't a major state highway we lived on but rather a secondary county owned road.

If we had access, I'm quite confident that the vast majority of the state already was covered by cable companies outside of the most isolated areas in the Adirondack Mountains like Hamilton County (5,000 people in an area nearly the same size as the state of Delaware, with I'm sure hundreds of homes and camps in 2023 still unable to subscribe to Spectrum Cable or whatever the current provider is in the area due to the remoteness of the region).

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My family living out in the country watched it in rural St. Lawrence County in upstate New York on the Disney Channel via cable when I was a kid in the mid 1980's. And it wasn't a major state highway we lived on but rather a secondary county owned road.

If we had access, I'm quite confident that the vast majority of the state already was covered by cable companies outside of the most isolated areas in the Adirondack Mountains like Hamilton County (5,000 people in an area nearly the same size as the state of Delaware, with I'm sure hundreds of homes and camps in 2023 still unable to subscribe to Spectrum Cable or whatever the current provider is in the area due to the remoteness of the region).
When I said most of NY, I meant NY City, not State. The other 4 boroughs other than Manhattan. Where I lived in Queens, we got cable November 1990.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How was syndication handled for O&H? I only remember episodes airing on the Disney Channel, in the 80’s. But before then, was it widely syndicated?
The show was never handled by a major distributor. It was syndicated by a company called something like All America. The package was 200 shows and I think there was only one in there from the color season. It would have been a perfect fit for CBN in the early 80s when they ran so many vintage black and white shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The show was never handled by a major distributor. It was syndicated by a company called something like All America. The package was 200 shows and I think there was only one in there from the color season. It would have been a perfect fit for CBN in the early 80s when they ran so many vintage black and white shows.

You're spot on right about CBN. The show really would have been perfect for that network back in the day.

Gary "but at least we are finally getting all the episodes, cleaned up and in order" O.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You're spot on right about CBN. The show really would have been perfect for that network back in the day.

Gary "but at least we are finally getting all the episodes, cleaned up and in order" O.
Father Knows Best Hazel etc built CBN - Andy Griffith Perry Mason built TBS Ted Turner stated that so YES Ozzie and Harriet would have been perfect on CBN Wish the Nelsons would have lived to see the show being LOVED so much

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just got my new sets today, which reminds me of a point I’ve been curious on - the episode counts from season to season vary wildly. I wonder if that was the network ordering less some years or Ozzie offering less or some combination of both.

I don't know the answer to that one, Josh. But my guess is someone will provide the correct answer.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
hey our and america's favorite tv show is on lets watch!
1677004918981.png

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
CBN cut shows pretty badly, with half hour shows snipped down to a little under 22 minutes running time. But they did a great job of picking up series which nobody else had rerun, like Wendy and Me, The Bill Dana Show, Young Rebels, Wackiest Ship in the Army, Empire, Farmer's Daughter and I'm sure others which I can't recall.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The WTBS O&H package was typically run during the summer months (late May through early September) for several years around 1981-1983, as I recall. They would start at what i presume was the beginning of the package and go for roughly 14 weeks, which was about 70 of the 200 episodes. However, they always seemed to start back over each summer, and I have no recollection of TBS doing the later episodes after Season 6 or thereabouts. They certainly didn’t run the color episode that I can recall. I did manage to audio record some of them at least! I still have the one where he’s dressed as Shakespeare in a teaser.

Just finished season 6, started season 7. My season 9 & 10 sets arrived yesterday from Bull Moose, and I sprang for the digital HD sets as well. 4 more to go!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I sprang for the digital HD sets as well.
You'll likely never view your DVD's again.

After going through the expense of remastering the entire Ozzie and Harriet series to HD for streaming, I will never understand MPI’s decision not to have offered a BluRay edition concurrently with the DVD’s.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You'll likely never view your DVD's again.

After going through the expense of remastering the entire Ozzie and Harriet series to HD for streaming, I will never understand MPI’s decision not to have offered a BluRay edition concurrently with the DVD’s.
Logically, it makes sense. Especially, from a consumer perspective, but I'm guessing they did the math.

If they offered both DVD and Blu-ray right now the physical media group would be split buying one or the other, yet MPI would have the added expense of producing both physical formats. Plus, without knowing how the split would go, they may end up running out of one with a surplus of the other. From a streaming perspective there is little to no extra cost offering it in both versions SD and HD. Lastly, a hidden bonus is the fact you have some physical media folks buying the SDs to answer that need, while also buying the HD streaming version for the higher quality. Then again, in a couple years, they can offer a complete series blu-ray release catching people on the double dip.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Logically, it makes sense. Especially, from a consumer perspective, but I'm guessing they did the math.

If they offered both DVD and Blu-ray right now the physical media group would be split buying one or the other, yet MPI would have the added expense of producing both physical formats. Plus, without knowing how the split would go, they may end up running out of one with a surplus of the other.
I believe the time to have done so is long since passed. I know I'd be infuriated if after purchasing 10 seasons (I didn't) MPI announced a BluRay release.
From a streaming perspective there is little to no extra cost offering it in both versions SD and HD. Lastly, a hidden bonus is the fact you have some physical media folks buying the SDs to answer that need, while also buying the HD streaming version for the higher quality.
From what I've read here it seems very few are doing both.
Then again, in a couple years, they can offer a complete series blu-ray release catching people on the double dip.
I'd wish them good luck with that.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I believe the time to have done so is long since passed. I know I'd be infuriated if after purchasing 10 seasons (I didn't) MPI announced a BluRay release.
Not really different then single DVD releases, to complete series DVD release, to complete series blu-ray releases. Some have actually purchased the trifecta to have it first, have it in a smaller size, and finally in the best quality. I would agree they may not be happy about it, but many do it, nevertheless. "Fraiser" was recently released as a complete series blu-ray, "Cheers" was just announced, I'm guessing for most these aren't first time they purchased the series. Some are talking about "Dallas" coming out soon. I see no reason for that trend to not continue as long as physical media is in demand.
From what I've read here it seems very few are doing both.
I doubt they counted on it in their return of investment, but an additional sale is an additional sale. Especially, given this is an older title with a smaller number of purchasers.
I'd wish them good luck with that.
Time will tell. We as consumers can be glutens for punishment sometimes when it comes to releases.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Not really different then single DVD releases, to complete series DVD release, to complete series blu-ray releases. Some have actually purchased the trifecta to have it first, have it in a smaller size, and finally in the best quality. I would agree they may not be happy about it, but many do it, nevertheless. "Fraiser" was recently released as a complete series blu-ray, "Cheers" was just announced, I'm guessing for most these aren't first time they purchased the series. Some are talking about "Dallas" coming out soon. I see no reason for that trend to not continue as long as physical media is in demand.
We'll never really know the answer unless MPI announces a BluRay release years from now. Unlike the others you mention, nothing compares to a 14 season release that would be completed within a timespan of potentially a single year, give or take a few months.
I doubt they counted on it in their return of investment, but an additional sale is an additional sale. Especially, given this is an older title with a smaller number of purchasers.
IMO, there's something wrong with a company making a classic television series of this caliber free in SD/HD via stream and charging the faithful physical media audience.
Time will tell. We as consumers can be glutens for punishment sometimes when it comes to releases.
How true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks