What's new

Ozzie & Harriet Release From Sam Nelson? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It doesn't star Bing Crosby, so it at least checks that box for Kino. :(

Gary, I mentioned it before. We can get Kino to release "Here Come Nelsons" (1952). All we have to do is convince them it's a film noir. A new noir sub-category, the 'sitcom noir.' Recall the big action set-piece of the film, with crook Sheldon Leonard and his minion trying to heist the gate proceeds of the town centennial festival? It's practically the same plotline as Kubrick's "The Killing" (1956). They are almost the same film. And think of the way Harriet's dry comments invariably manipulate poor Ozzie into doing her bidding. She surely qualifies as a 'femme fatale.' Ripe stuff for Muller and Rode to spin a big commentary track on.

Besides, the parameters of what constitutes 'noir' seems to expand outward with every passing year. I'm already prepping the ground for convincing Kino that Paramount's "Henry Aldrich" films and Univeral's 'Donald O'Connor / Peggy Ryan' musi-comedies are actually part of a vibrant noir sub-category ripe for exploration. I'm referring to them as 'hepcat noir.' Think it will catch on? I bet the academic-type bloggers will eat it up.
KINO is doing great work - lots of Bob Hope etc I do not understand them not even trying some Henry Aldrich films - they have been restored VCI tried to make a deal but no luck so KINO is the only one that could do it - we should all ask MPI to try to release the Ozzie and Harriet they are showing the show love and it would be a great fit for them!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary, I mentioned it before. We can get Kino to release "Here Come Nelsons" (1952). All we have to do is convince them it's a film noir. A new noir sub-category, the 'sitcom noir.' Recall the big action set-piece of the film, with crook Sheldon Leonard and his minion trying to heist the gate proceeds of the town centennial festival? It's practically the same plotline as Kubrick's "The Killing" (1956). They are almost the same film. And think of the way Harriet's dry comments invariably manipulate poor Ozzie into doing her bidding. She surely qualifies as a 'femme fatale.' Ripe stuff for Muller and Rode to spin a big commentary track on.

Besides, the parameters of what constitutes 'noir' seems to expand outward with every passing year. I'm already prepping the ground for convincing Kino that Paramount's "Henry Aldrich" films and Univeral's 'Donald O'Connor / Peggy Ryan' musi-comedies are actually part of a vibrant noir sub-category ripe for exploration. I'm referring to them as 'hepcat noir.' Think it will catch on? I bet the academic-type bloggers will eat it up.

You are so right, Bert. And while we are at it, lets also try and get some 'sarong noir' going with that femme fatale Dorothy Lamour. And some 'western noir' going with Roy Rogers. And for sure some 'b mystery noir' with just about anyone from the 30's or 40's.

It doesn't star Bing Crosby, so it at least checks that box for Kino. :(

It's so true.

Gary "Kino puts out a lot of stuff, but they miss my particular interests a lot more than they hit them, in large part because I'm noir'ed out at this point" O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Just watched this episode and was wondering the same thing. Looked online, though, and couldn't find the original version of "The Party" in the usual places. Only the rebroadcast version with Ricky's song in place of the usual brief epilogue scene seems to be available. Still, the Ozzie "face first into the cake" gag worked well as a final gag.
Similar to The Borrowed Tuxedo episode?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Some of these B titles ever getting released in any commercial video format gets slimmer and slimmer all the time with each passing week. The only way some of them will ever be available are from collectors who have film prints and can transfer them onto disc.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1676532259362.png

1676532333872.png

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
So far, I'm liking most of the episodes and finding them funny. I'm up to season 3. Harriet cracks me up and Thorny is very funny. I'll be sorry to see him go.

Wow! After picking myself up off the floor I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, Neal. Very good. Glad you are enjoying the series.

Gary "and yes, it's sad to see Thorny leave the show - he is a hoot" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Wow! After picking myself up off the floor I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, Neal. Very good. Glad you are enjoying the series.

Gary "and yes, it's sad to see Thorny leave the show - he is a hoot" O.
I have vague memories of watching the show in prime time when I was little but it never ran in syndication in my market

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
How was syndication handled for O&H? I only remember episodes airing on the Disney Channel, in the 80’s. But before then, was it widely syndicated?
In NY we never saw the series at all in the 60s and 70s and when Disney started airing it it was a big deal seemed Ozzie really wasnt interested in syndication - in the mid 70s he was ill and I saw a interview with Sam saying David really tried to distance his life from the series - David stated his Mom had not been happy since Ozzie had passed then Ricky passed - Sam said that b4 David passed he was starting to show an interest in trying to preserve the show

Last edited:

Tom.W

Second Unit
I watched Ozzie the Host today. As I mentioned, I'm rotating between seasons. As usual, Harriet got in some funny barbs. No spoilers here. The last scene is very cute and funny. Preceded by an nice payoff to wrap things up.

Hopefully, season 9 will arrive on or within a day or two of release date. Just in time to see the first ep of the season.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
First saw the series in syndication in the early 1970's on WUTV in Buffalo, NY years before the station became a FOX affiliate.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
First saw the series in syndication in the early 1970's on WUTV in Buffalo, NY years before the station became a FOX affiliate.
Does anyone know if ABC would have syndicated it or Ozzie - at least with CBS shows we know it was Viacom and Screen Gems did their own syndication - now FKB is owned by Robert Youngs family etc - wonder when all of the seasons of O and H are out will the family then sell them in syndication to Antenna or METV?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does anyone know if ABC would have syndicated it or Ozzie - at least with CBS shows we know it was Viacom and Screen Gems did their own syndication - now FKB is owned by Robert Youngs family etc - wonder when all of the seasons of O and H are out will the family then sell them in syndication to Antenna or METV?
Syndication Is sales to local stations not to networks like Antenna TV or MeTV.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
In NY we never saw the series at all in the 60s and 70s and when Disney started airing it it was a big deal seemed Ozzie really wasnt interested in syndication - in the mid 70s he was ill and I saw a interview with Sam saying David really tried to distance his life from the series - David stated his Mom had not been happy since Ozzie had passed then Ricky passed - Sam said that b4 David passed he was starting to show an interest in trying to preserve the show
No local station in NY ever picked up the show and when it ran in the 80s on TBS and Disney, most of NY outside Manhattan didn't have cable yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks