What's new

Ozzie & Harriet Release From Sam Nelson? (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Sadly ,It doesn't seem likely we'll ever see anything from Sam Nelson. This was announced it least at least 6 or 7 years ago. - that's when Sam started the project . If you don't have them already , and want to see some Ozzie And Harriet episodes , check out Shout Factory releases.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Who the heck put him in charge of this? They should have signed a deal with a distributor first to help pay for preservation and remastering costs. Instead, he assumed fans had deep pockets enough to pay for himself … at a time when the economy wasn't doing well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Who the heck put him in charge of this? They should have signed a deal with a distributor first to help pay for preservation and remastering costs. Instead, he assumed fans had deep pockets enough to pay for himself … at a time when the economy wasn't doing well.

He put himself in charge. He had no clue as to what a project of this magnitude entailed nor what the cost would be. Which makes sense, since he has no background in production nor home video. His only qualification is that he's Ozzie and Harriet's grandson and has access to the the estate.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
He put himself in charge. He had no clue as to what a project of this magnitude entailed nor what the cost would be. Which makes sense, since he has no background in production nor home video. His only qualification is that he's Ozzie and Harriet's grandson and has access to the the estate.
Not to mention that he reportedly passed on a deal with a distributor when an offer was made.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Sam knows best. That's what people in the Forum kept telling me when I had the temerity to question his qualifications for such an undertaking.

Not everyone questioned you on that point. I for one was not happy when I heard he passed up on help from MPI (I believe they were the one).

Gary "what a wasted opportunity - makes me so sad thinking about it" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sam knows best. That's what people in the Forum kept telling me when I had the temerity to question his qualifications for such an undertaking.

And you were right this time, but what were the alternatives? Settle for nothing but more PD releases? At least here was a chance for something better. Even the amount of money he quoted would have covered about 1 season out of 14. That hand-to-mouth business model has kept so many shows from getting completed. Statistically, first seasons tend to sell best even when the first season isn't the best. So it goes without saying that he underestimated the costs dramatically.

Not everyone questioned you on that point. I for one was not happy when I heard he passed up on help from MPI (I believe they were the one).

Gary "what a wasted opportunity - makes me so sad thinking about it" O.

Now that's just a dumb thing for him to do. What else can be said? That's what gets me about it: I can't understand why they don't want a third party to intervene especially when that means they don't have to go it alone. Then they'd get at least get a percentage of something instead of 100% of nothing. As long as the film elements aren't too far gone, it's still doable if there was only a way to put someone qualified in charge of things.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I picked up the Mill Creek collection as some of the episodes are complete. We might never get them on Blu-ray so, this if OK for now.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I picked up the Mill Creek collection as some of the episodes are complete. We might never get them on Blu-ray so, this if OK for now.

The Mill Creek set is a stop-gap, and certainly adequate considering the only other pickings are the few Shout Factory cut episode sets or Alpha releases (similar to the MC ones).

But knowing that Sam had access to the originals and we could have had some really nice looking, uncut dvd sets by now had he done the right thing is quite aggravating.

Gary "and that's putting it mildly" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I had 100 episodes that a friend transferred from film 40 years ago. In addition there were still stations running the show in syndication when the taping era started in the late 70s, early 80s, and not just WTBS, which cut them to shreds. Disney also ran around 100 of the unsyndicated episodes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you don't have them already , and want to see some Ozzie And Harriet episodes , check out Shout Factory releases.
The Mill Creek set is a stop-gap, and certainly adequate considering the only other pickings are the few Shout Factory cut episode sets or Alpha releases (similar to the MC ones).

If someone wanted to dip their toes in the Ozzie & Harriet pool...is there a clear recommendation of where to start?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If someone wanted to dip their toes in the Ozzie & Harriet pool...is there a clear recommendation of where to start?

If you want to sample some, there are hundreds of episodes on archive.org and YouTube.

I recommend this because, after watching a few episodes, and knowing the Sam Nelson thing would never happen, I also knew I didn't care!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

If you want decent quality then pick up a one of the Shout releases (there were several of them). But the 100 episode Mill Creek set is a great value too, with unedited episodes.

Gary “everyone that loves good family comedy loves Ozzie & Harriet so you can’t go wrong, Mike” O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
You can also find odd episodes here and there in the wild on VHS. I picked up a couple on VHS 2 or 3 years ago at a flea market and put them over on DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My Ozzie and Harriet collection is pretty much what Gary recommends - That Mill Creek 100 episode set and a couple of the Shout! sets just in case.

I just looked 'em up. That MC set must be OOP as it's stupid high - even for used. Right now, secondspin has the most reasonable price on a copy at just over $20 (including shipping).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...g_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

At secondspin's site it's $17.99 with a 20% off code available. Shipping there is $3.99 so, for a change, it's actually less expensive to purchase from them using the code. I've had pretty good luck ordering from them.

The 2 Shout! sets I purchased look to still be available at more reasonable prices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BDDGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGBSQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are 4 disc sets with 24 eps. each - although edited episodes.

That said... free streaming sources are great to find out if you "need" physical copies...

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
This topic inevitably comes up every few months and it's always makes me disappointed in Sam because he raised $32,000 on kickstarter to restore all 435 episodes, and he can't even come out with a single season to reward the people who donated to the project after 8+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks