Ozzie & Harriet -- is there a quality DVD release of this?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeffrey Nelson, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Just picked up a DVD three-pack containing 6 episodes each of Love That Bob!, The Jack Benny Show, and Ozzie & Harriet. All episodes have had their opening themes replaced with horrible synthesizer music, and O&H's opening has horrible new narration as well, describing each member of the family.

Never having seen the show before, I watched a couple of the Ozzie & Harriet episodes, from the first year of broadcast (1952), and thought they were pleasantly interesting, if pretty primitive compared to other stuff of the period such as I Love Lucy. Ozzie has a great life; he apparently doesn't have to work and can spend all the time he wants at home with his family...

Can this show be had on DVD with original opening theme intact?

Also, any thoughts on this show? Was it the first family sitcom?

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    This and many other shows were on the radio for many years before they came to TV.

It wasn't the first family sitcom on TV, anyway. The original TV version of "The Life of Riley" (with Jackie Gleason) preceded O&H by three years. There were also "Mama," "The Goldbergs," "The Trouble With Father," "The Aldrich Family," and probably some others.

O&H's claim to fame, though, was that it was the longest-running family sitcom -- 14 seasons on ABC!

3. DaveyM

DaveyM Stunt Coordinator

I have several low budget Ozzie and Harriet dvds which are of poor quality and edited. I read somewhere that Sony is planning a box set release for 2005. I hope this is true because Ozzie and Harriet is one of my favorite shows and it deserves alot better treatment on dvd than it's getting.

4. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    Wow, great news about the Sony box set, if it comes to pass, that is. Of course, with way over 400 episodes, a COMPLETE set would be quite an undertaking...

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    And then there are music rights issues for the episodes with Ricky Nelson's musical numbers...

6. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Geez...that'd be really great, all of Ricky's numbers missing due to rights problems. I hope they can be bothered to ante up the $$ and put this out properly...otherwise I'd just as soon they not bother.

7. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Jeffrey, are you a relative of the Nelsons?

8. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I don't know where anyone would get info about Columbia having anything to do with this. The property is currently controlled by SFM thru the Nelson estate. Columbia has never had anything to do with this show.

9. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Um...no...not as far as I know, anyway. [​IMG]

10. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
  11. DaveyM

DaveyM Stunt Coordinator

If it's from Platinum Corp. it's probably like the other collection i have from them. Poor quality with edited episodes. I only paid $5.50 for the 2-disc set at Wal-Mart and it's better than nothing, but the series deserves much better treatment than it's gotten so far!
    You would think someone would do this right and release a high quality set. Who own's the rights? I had heard it was David Nelson, if so he needs to show more interest and put a stop to all these poor quality public domain dvds on the market.

12. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    No, it's not from Platinum, it's a Platinum Edition from the Education 2000 label. It actually looks like a bit of thought went into this release, at least as far as organization of the episodes:

PRIMARY YEARS Vol. 1
    "Separate Rooms" / "Orchids and Violets" / "Pills"
    PRIMARY YEARS Vol. 2
    "Father and Son Tournament” / "An Evening With Hamlet"/ "Halloween"
    HIGH SCHOOL YEARS Vol. 1
    “Tutti Fruitti Ice Cream” / “Ricky the Drummer” / “Old vs. New” [*This show has the original TV Commercials.]
    HIGH SCHOOL YEARS Vol. 2
    “14 Mile Hike” / “A Cruise for Harriet” / “Ricky’s Dinner Guests”
    COLLEGE YEARS Vol. 1
    "David Goofs Off" / "Little House Guest" / “David Hires a Secretary”
    COLLEGE YEARS Vol. 2
    “The Little Girl Who Loses Things” / “The Fraternity Rents a Room” / "Making Wally Study”
    MATURITY YEARS Vol. 1
    “An Old Friend of June’s” / “Kris Plays Cupid” / “Rick’s Raise”
    MATURITY YEARS Vol. 2
    “Breakfast For Harriet” / “Trip Trap” / “Welcome Home”

And, one of the shows, "Old Vs. New", has the original commercials. I'm a bit leery, though, of spending over $50 to find out the quality...

13. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I recognize many of the episodes listed in that $75 set as PD episodes found in other sets.

14. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

If you interested in this series, keep in mind that David was married in 1961 and Rick in 1964. Both of their wives became regulars on the show....playing their wives, of course! [​IMG]

The 14th and final season (1965 to 1966) was filmed in color.

Ozzie & Harriet Nelson also did a sequel series that was shot on videotape in 1973-74 called "Ozzie's Girls", in which the Nelsons rented out David and Rick's rooms to two young women. Both Ozzie and David directed episodes of this show, which was somehow even more bland than the original series.

15. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

The word that I have from SFM (who owns the rights to this series) is that they had originally planned on releasing "official" sets of Ozzie & Harriet. However, they have since had a change of heart because they feel the series does not have good sales potential directly related to the flood of cheapie PD releases. The project is off the books.

16. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    Bad news...although I'd think the fans of the series would definitely want to upgrade. Is SFM David Nelson's company? What does SFM stand for?

17. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I wouldn't waste a dime on Ozzie & Harriet shows. This sitcom is one that you just wait for to turn up on TV Land or somewhere else on basic cable. You watch it on a rainy Sunday when there's nothing better to do! [​IMG]

SFM is not owned by David Nelson. They syndicate a lot of TV series, most notably Flip! a.k.a. The Flip Wilson Show, a half-hour version of what was an hour-long sketch comedy / variety show. I think they put out The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp too.

18. DaveyM

DaveyM Stunt Coordinator

I would happily pay for an official set. We need more of the classic series like Ozzie and Harriet released on dvd instead of all the recent garbage thats available.
    As for TvLand, Ozzie and Harriet fans have been posting and asking questions at their site for years and TvLand hasn't aired it yet. I guess it's because they would prefer "Chasing Farrah" instead.

19. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

SFM Media is primarily a syndicator, not associated with David Nelson. SFM is named for the principal owner Stanley F. Moger. They were responsible for the "Make Room For Daddy" and "The Joey Bishop Show" DVD releases.

20. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

So the Nelson Estate no longer has control of the show? Do they see any money from its sales?