What's new

Oz The Great and Powerful available for Preorder (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71J8vD+VLbL._SL1267_.jpg
81Ve2cCs6UL._SL1242_.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Can those covers be correct? They are the same price and you get a Blu-ray 3D disc and digital with one and a Blu-ray disc and digital with the other?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, that's weird. 3D and non 3D are the same price. I'll have to wait for a deal on the 3D.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well that stinks. Looks like the end is coming for the 3D plus non 3D in the same package.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
TonyD said:
Well that stinks. Looks like the end is coming for the 3D plus non 3D in the same package.
Bill Hunt said something similar on The Digital Bits, but I don't get it. Can't 3D Blu-rays play in 2D on any Blu-ray player?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To make it worse, there a $5 coupon on the 2D but not the 3D. That pisses me off. I thought the blu-ray standard required 3D to also support 2D? If this disc is 3D only, I'll vote with m wallet and pass on it. What if I have company and they don't like 3D? I hope thi s is just a labeling error.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I know using PowerDVD 12 on my computer, I can watch 3D Blu-rays in 2D (at least the few I have). PowerDVD can also convert 3D Blus to red/green so you can watch them in 3D on a non-3D set using colored glasses.

Vincent

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Also note that the 2D version includes a copy on DVD. This is pretty screwy. Re: 3D BDs being playable in 2D on 2D players, the straight answer is: it depends. MVC allows for it, but many studios insist on authoring separate versions, giving excuses like the BD needs the extra room as it is for 3D, blah, blah, blah. Even Sony is inconsistent in this regard; many titles come out being 2D compatible, but some do not (mostly kiddie titles).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Johnny Angell said:
I thought the blu-ray standard required 3D to also support 2D? If this disc is 3D only, I'll vote with m wallet and pass on it. What if I have company and they don't like 3D?

I hope thi s is just a labeling error.
As a 3-D owner, I'm hoping it's NOT a labeling error, but thinking it probably is, because it's just too darn good to be true. :huh:

Put yourself in the 3D owners' position. ( :3dglasses:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wonder how the changeover from 1.33 to 2.4 ar will be done on the Blu-ray? I hope the 1.33 will be within the 2.4 letterbox frame.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Johnny Angell said:
To make it worse, there a $5 coupon on the 2D but not the 3D. That pisses me off.I thought the blu-ray standard required 3D to also support 2D? If this disc is 3D only, I'll vote with m wallet and pass on it. What if I have company and they don't like 3D?I hope thi s is just a labeling error.
Johnny, what kind of display do you have? My Panny allows me to play 3D discs in 2D, even if the 3D disc is authored 3D only.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Well, they're definitely experimenting, and trying to figure out what not to release--
I keep getting online marketing surveys (including one for Oz, a month ago) asking "Would you buy a 3D edition, if it was available? Would you buy a DVD-only edition, if it was available?"
I've responded several times that "no, I would not buy a DVD edition on a train, I would not buy it in the rain", but they seem to be still on the last edges of clinging to it as their safest bottom-tier mass-market Wal-mart impulse sales.

RIght now, they've put all their eggs in the Ultimate Combo basket, and they may be just starting to hit upon worries that it's hurting sales. In the case of 3-D, they're right, but we just have to help them work through this stage, and come out to a healthy new perspective. (Ie., a 3+2 edition, and a 2+DVD edition, that's IT.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks