Oz Seasons 3 and 4 announced!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris Bardon, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just got this from tvshowsondvd.com. Tom Fontana has posted that Oz season 3 will street 2/24/04, and season 4 on 10/5/04.

Just hoping that season 4 gets released in one box (even though it was 3x as long as other seasons) and not split up. I'll be picking both up regardless.

2. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Nice, I was wondering about when these would street. Can't wait. Thanks for the update.

3. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Well, twice as long, not three times...

But it was always a silly designation to me, the 'long' Season Four... the episodes were still shown in blocks of eight and in separate years (like all the others). The two parts of Season Four were CLOSER together than the other years (show's schedule moved from summer to winter), but they were still separated.

S 1 July-Aug '97 eight shows
    S 2 July-Aug '98 eight shows
    S 3 July-Sep '99 eight shows
    S 4 part one July-Aug '00 eight shows
    S 4 part two Jan-Feb '01 eight shows
    S 5 Jan-Feb '02 eight shows
    S 6 Jan-Feb '03 eight shows

They may have shot Season Four in one big production chunk (did they? I'm not sure), but they still aired separately, making the series 'feel' like seven seasons, not six...

4. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I spoke to someone who worked on the shows about the subject of the "two" seasons four. Apparently it was done because the new Sopranos season was delayed (isn't it always?) and Tom Fontana wrote the second half on the fly (as opposed to the others which were pre-plotted). Interesting to note, then, that S4P2 has some of the most bizarre and silly plotlines.

5. Chris Bardon

I thought that S4 was in three parts for some reason, but a quick check of HBOs website says otherwise. Regardless, having this whole series on DVD will be nice-60 hour Oz marathon anyone?

6. Josh L

Josh L Stunt Coordinator

Jeeze it's about freakin time!!

7. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    Anyone know if they plan on running OZ repeats? I checked hbo.com but there's nothing going on on the regular HBO channels...

8. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

I watched the first 3 years (24 hours) in a week-long marathon...

While outstanding television, it puts one in a pretty 'gloomy' mindset, watching that much all at once... but it was so absorbing, I couldn't stop... a lot of 'okay, one more, and THEN I'll go to bed'...

Re: Season 4, part 2, and silly stuff... without looking it up or anything- the rapid aging serum test was in there, right? That was a series low point...

9. Chris Bardon

I think that the aging drug was in S4-2, and Tom Fontana has apologized for it on his website I believe. Things definitely picked up in S5 and S6 though.

I'm glad that the releases are picking up from one per year though. At this rate, we'll be able to watch the whole series on DVD over the Christmas holidays in 2005[​IMG]