What's new

OZ- First Impressions (1 Viewer)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... how young they all look! Glenn, McManus, Poet, Beecher, Alvarez... even Schillinger and Ribodeau. And to have Adebisi back in Oz... what can I say?
:)
+++
The only review I've seen so far is from "dvdangle". (http://dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2304) They pretty much tore apart the video quality.
I am pleased to say- admittedly after watching only the first episode- that the video quality is quite a bit better than I expected based on that review.
True enough, there is ample grain- but with the muted colors and "documentary-esque" filming style/atmosphere it does not detract and is much less of an issue than that review implies- but don't get me wrong, it is very noticeable. Focus/softness was another major concern in that review. I've not found it to be distracting.
Blemishes/print dust/scratches are not a problem, although that review goes into some detail in that regard. (they focus on episode 4 more than any others, which I have not yet watched, but they talk as if it is distracting throughout the set)
Color saturation and contrast are fine.
The audio is nothing to qrite home about. Epidode 1 at least is almost completely devoid of surround effects. However, I imagine this is authentic and faithful to the originals.
Extras are sparse... commentaries on the first two episodes and a very short featurette.
The packaging is nice, three heavy cardboard panels each holding one of the three DVDs, the back of one contains a very basic episode guide, the seond the front cover and the third the back cover- all folding into a secure and stable box. (need to see it; completely unique as far as I know)
The episodes are broken into chapters- ~8 for the first episode, however the packaging contains no chapter listing.
All in all, thus far, I am quite pleased. I am confident that this presentation is as good as source material allows-without digitally altering the intent of the filmmaker. (reducing grain, etc) Certainly as good as or better than the original or repeat airings on HBO. (admittedly it has been a couple years- or so- since I've seen season one)
Overall video quality is superior to "The Larry Sanders Show" and about equal to the first season- episodes 2+ of "Sex and the City".
Put it this way. I love Larry Sanders but was disappointed with the DVDs. I love SatC but was merely satisifed with the Season One DVDs. I love OZ and am PLEASED with the wuality presented here.
I'd have liked more extras, but a/v wise- age/source material/original broadcast quality/first season budget, etc; all things considered I give this set 4/5.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Is it too early to ask for season two and all the rest??? I love oz. Man it rules, and yes it was a trip to see them all so young. It sure sounded like Kareem Saide sounded different. Oh yeah I went to dvdauthority and there is no review. Do you know where it is.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Is there any kind of subtitles (not CC)?? Some of HBO releases have (Sex and the City), some haven't (The Sopranos)...
Thanks,
Vincent

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Unfortunately no subtitles and its fullscreen :angry: but it does have spiffy animated menus :D so shuddup and buy it!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They pretty much tore apart the video quality.
True, but the reviewer acknowledged that he'd never seen the show before, only heard about it. OZ has always looked grimy, dirty and grainy, and it's clearly meant as a stylized technique for getting across the ever-present dirt and stench of the environment. If you look past the filming style, Em City is far too neat and clean; compare it to the prison scenes in Slam, which was filmed in a real jail.

M.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Michael.. just wanted those who are familiar with OZ to not let the negative tones on dvdangle prevent them from buying the set..

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
pre-ordered from amazon last week, its enroute. Cant wait!

After I moved out of my parents last year, I havent had HBO (i know, shoot me!) and Im really missing this show. Im sure that once I watch season 1 again, I will be subscribing to HBO again. Ive just been lazy and never subscribed since I moved into my new place.

Thanks for the review!!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching this box and wow-I've only seen season 4 on Showcase here, but it's great to see how it all started. Anything from HBO on future releases?

The only problem with the DVDs-having seen season 4, I know who is still alive and who isn't. A minor spoiler I know, but with the turnover on Oz, it's something that you'd rather not know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks