What's new

Oz Episode 54: A Day in the Death (1 Viewer)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well, that was a 40 minute episode of Oz, followed by a 20 minute Very Special Announcement from Tom Fontana. We leave our narration by Ortilani (who was it who said he wasn't going to show up? Muhahaha) on the leading causes of death to Hill on why we shouldn't execute the mentally challenged, accompanied by some REALLY sappy music which took the edge off the entire episode. They've never had music outside of the normal trumpet/drums except for Beecher's parole fantasy (where it made sense). I was digging the episode up until that music kicked in, then I was sadly disappointed. Last week I was depressed about Beecher, now I'm just disappointed.
One person died in this episode, bringing the total count for the season to 11, making an average of 1.8/episode. Only two episode, 160 minutes left of Oz.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Was a little out of place, but overall, I was prepared for something like that to happen.

For the next two shows...looks like anything is possible.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually glad Cyril was spared. This is a show that NEVER seems to "cheat" by way of teasing a death, like so many episodic series have to due to a limited cast. (C'mon...we all know MacGuyver and Magnum were never going to bite it.) So they earned this one swerve.

In all, I'm still glad the show is ending. Last night's ep. was very well done, but that's become the exception rather than the rule. Beecher would never have put himself in that position, not even for Keller, and it seems a stretch that Devlin, as sick as he is, would order hits on both the Mayor and Glynn. Really reaching.

I'm still rooting for Gloria and Ryan to get together. That, Beecher still getting sprung, and Adebisi narrating the last episode would be jus' fine.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Which season did Ortilani get burned in? I htink that was before I started watching it (haven't finished watching the S2 DVDs yet either)...

Rafael

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Ortilani got burned at the end of the first episode. The first episode focused almost entirely on him, so it seemed like he would be the lead character of the show, but he gets killed at the end in order to shake things up for the audience.

In terms of Cyril getting spared, I'm not disappointed that he was spared, but rather the way in which that entire sequence was presented. Oz has never needed to resort to sappy music in order to get the point across, and using it in this case really dulled the edge of what was about to happen. Frankly, I was moved on a much more visceral level by Bellinger's hanging than by Cyril's near-execution, mainly because it was presented in such a documentary fashion (as is all of the show). What really did affect me was the rape victim's group that Sister Pete was running.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Mark,

Thanks for the explaining of Ortilani. It's been a year since I saw S1, so I might have to watch it again...

Yeah, I agree that the rape group session was extremely powerful and nicely edited to pring about said emotions. I found everything leading up to Cyril's death pretty emotional, but I didn't really notice the underscoring at all. Call me a sap, I guess. :b

Now that they arrested Nurse Grace, it'll be interesting to find out why she's so loony, which I hope they delve into.

Rafael.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I'm just hoping that they'll use Nurse Grace to explain WTF happened to Cloutier.Thanks for the explaining of Ortilani. It's been a year since I saw S1, so I might have to watch it again...

S1 is definitely worthwhile, in that so many of the main characters are now dead. It's amazing to go back and see so many people who didn't make it... I made the jump from Season 1 to Season 4A, and was shocked that only 4 or so characters were still around.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Mark-
I also think that there's a tie between nurse Grace and Clutier. Maybe she's one of his bretheren and kidnapped him to 'save' him.

It's just a vibe I get, but I could always be wrong. :)

I started watching OZ in the middle of S5 and then got the S1 DVDs and watched those. Ironically, I was surprised by how many people were still around in S5. Then I relaised that HBO was rebroadcasting OZ, I started watching again, so I caught it around late S3 or early S4A.

Rafael

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have to say that this episode wasn't the best of the season, but it was interesting. The whole section at the end with Cyril was very well done though, and incredibly well acted. I'm wondering if Cyril will realize what was happening sometime in the next 2 episodes though, and whether Jericho might make another appearance. We can only hope (the "time freeze" in the previous episode was wonderful).

I really didn't expect Ortalani to show up, but there he was. I guess I figured he was gone so qickly that they'd think nobody remembered him. This means that all bets are off as to who shows up in the next episodes.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
The reaction of Cyril's mom and Sister Pete was great. I was also happy they didn't execute Cyril.

I was really touched with how Ryan handled the whole time leading to the time of execution. And how cool was the other prisoners coming together as one to protest the execution.

This is the best "soap opera" on TV!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
A couple of semi-related Oz Questions:

Has anyone seen the book that they're pushing? It could be interesting, but I think I'd want to wait until I saw season 3 and 4a before getting it.

Is Evan Seinfeld (Jaz Hoyt) any relation to Jerry Seinfeld? Only reason I ask is that I swear I saw Jerry as the video store clerk in the s2 episode where Jaz comes to Oz. There was also the Jerry Seinfeld goes to Oz bit on SNL at one point.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I thought this was an EXCELLENT episode.

I agree that the music during the Execution phase wasn't necessary, but it didn't bother me that much. That being said, what did move me (nearly to tears) was the performance that both the Winters brothers give during the whole thing. Now that was ACTING!

The Rape Group was great too, but I keep thinking that Robeson is up to something...like giving himself an alibi by making Sister Pete think he's losing it...

Also, I really hope Mr. Beecher ends up killing Keller for getting him brought back to Oz. Man, what a slime-bag Keller is...

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
The Rape Group was great too, but I keep thinking that Robeson is up to something...like giving himself an alibi by making Sister Pete think he's losing it...
I kept imagining Robson banding them all together into a new gang: The Sex Offended. Also odd that the scene ended with Robson saying "I had no choice" when he spent an entire episode pondering whether or not he should give it up to Cutler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks