Oye, Wiring help needed

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Paul Sawyer, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

I hope I am in the right forum, but here goes anyhow.

I bought a house in November and now that I finally unloaded my other home, I have the finanaces to get into the updating the home audio system.

The system is already zoned, but it was wired in 1989. Speakers are in our master, office, kitchen, dining room and outside.

I have a reciever(pioneer) to power this, but upon inspecting the exisiting wiring, it was 4 wire- white, black, red, green. I assume, white and black are +, red and green -, but need some confirmation.

Also, the volume switches are old as well and I am making an assumption, they are dated as well and need replacing.

So, I am asking, how to hook up the speakers- as in what connections to make. And also, what switches to use for volume control to interact with modern equipment?

I guess I should also ask about touch screens and if they could be integrated at this point or if I am looking at a total reqire for that technology?

Thanks in advance.

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

If you look at the connections on the volume controls, you will probably see two pairs of red-black for each speaker but the green and white are coded that way so you can hook them up to an amp, black-red is usually left speaker negative and positive and white and green is usually right speaker negative and positive, respectively.
    One thing to remember about using a receiver to power five zones is that you will need a hub to connect each zone and the power to each speaker will be divided by each pair, for example: 100W receiver/5= 20 watts to each pair. This will be good enough for background music but may overdrive the receiver if all channels are being driven. The volume controls need to be impedence-matching to keep the load constant.
    If you decide to go to a keypad based system you will need to run cat5 to each one for control purposes and then to the control unit. Since the boxes are already in place where the volume controls are this might not be hard to do.
    If you do go the receiver route keep in mind that you will be listening to the same source in all zones and you might need an additional amp. I just set mine up with a 7.1 Yamaha receiver and run it in "7 ch.surround" instead of using the hub but I still have to use the zone 2 for my bathroom. If given the option to do it again, I would have saved up and gotten something like the Russound CAV 6.6 with keypads.This way, everyone in my family would know how to use it and would have the option to listen to something else (or turn it off) when i'm jamming by the pool.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Usually there is a 14x4 or 16x4 singule wire run to the volume control and then two wires leaving the volume control, one to each speaker. That is probably what you have. If you want to install keypads or a TP you will need at minimun one run of cat5 going from your controller to each keypad/volume control location.

4. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

thanks guys, I have been doing some research for what is available. Looks like TPs or KPs are out because I cannot run anything to them. I will use the inpedance matching volume controls(have MCM electronics withing 10 miles from here) and run a 7:1 reciever.

THis new house has ruined my HT setup(all open air) and has provided new problems as I go. Fortunetely we love the house(89 home-a-rama home), but I have just updated the entire kitchen and these little nuisances are driving me nuts.

By the way, MCM is an electronics wholesaler. I have gotten great stuff there for alot cheaper than my local supply places.

Thanks again.