What's new

OXM-is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering-is the Official Xbox magazine worth subscribing to? Haven't read a gaming mag since Nintendo Power (still have the first 100 or so issues somewhere) but the idea of getting the demo discs is interesting. Is the magazine actually well written, or would it be better to just take what it would cost to subscribe and rent the games instead.

Also, it says 24.95 on their website-anyone know whether there's a different price for Canada?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Oh, I'm sure others will disagree, but in my opinion, it is worth the price of a subscription.

I would not pay Newsstand prices for it.

For instance, the last issue had a Demo Disc that was PACKED with demos. I played demos of at least 6 games.

The magazine itself is OK. I wouldn't say it's the best thing out there, but it does the trick for some bathroom reading material.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Is it worth is for the reviews? Not really, no, since they tend to be rather...kind to all of the games. But it is definitely worth it for the previews of upcoming games (they had killer features on Brute Force and James Bond:Nightfire in recent issues), and the demo discs are worth the price of subscription themselves. Plus, it looks like one of the ways that developers will distribute bonus content for their games will be on the OXM discs (a la DOA3), at least until Xbox Live comes on line.

It's not the most impartial reviewing in the world, but I definitely look forward to my issue each month.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Get it. The DOA3 patch was worth the price right there IMHO. Since it was used once to patch a game or offer an add-on, OXM might be the vehicle for that in the future, so that's a great 'perk'. Mag's got good production values overall, so I'd say get it.

FYI - I think the sub from Amazon does NOT have the game disc - I ordered that first, then they emailed and told me that, so I cancelled and ordered it through their site directly.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The cost in Canada is always more (my single issue of OXM says $38.95 in US funds).

I enjoyed Official Dreamcast Magazine for the previews, reviews weren't terrible, but the demo disc was the main reason for getting it.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
ODM was such a pisser. Ordered a year sub, went out of production by the second issue I got, and no f*cking refund or anything. I was/am pissed about that.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Being the kind of person who, for video games, prefers to read how others feel about the game online to get a variety of opinions of varying length, I'm no fan of magazines.

But the OXM magazine (along with ODM, which I got when it started) is worthwhile for the demos. I like online demos and movies as much as the next guy if you can find decent ones, but having playable demos as well as trailers and other content, well, the subscription is worth it just for the disc, even when there's little interesting on it.

The DOA3 upgrade patch was useful as well. But every time a new issue comes in, my wife insists we check it out right away so she can see the new trailers, since she refuses to watch the online ones.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Great demos in this month's issue--Outlaw Golf, Hunter, Crazy Taxi 3, and NBA Street. This may be the best disc for new demos yet.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Awww, no fair. I always get my issue late.

NBA Street on XBOX? Cool. I miss my PS2 copy (gave it to my little brother).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Oh, sorry, it's not NBA Street, it's Activision's Street Hoops. The demo looked pretty good, and there are definitely some nasty moves you can throw down. But to be honest, I was spending all my time with Summer the stripper in Outlaw Golf. :b

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
If i'm not mistaken it cost around 70 bucks Canadian for my sub. Personally I like it for the demos/patches and for the report on upcoming games. the reviews are ok but not very in depth.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I'll also chime in with a big thumbs up for the demo disc alone. :emoji_thumbsup:
The mag itself is not bad.
It's no Next Generation (damn I miss this mag) or anything, but usually contains some solid reading material.
It contains the usual fluff bias, but no where near as bad as say PSM.
I also wanted to add I can't see paying the news stand price.
Well worth a subscription though.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks