What's new

Owning all of a series despite bad later/earlier seasons? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Been looking at quite a few TV DVD (and a couple of TV Blu) collections on YouTube and elsewhere, and one thing I wonder about them-- why do many of them have all of certain series, despite the negative critical reviews of some seasons of those series (like, for instance, Miami Vice, where some have all of that 1984-89 NBC detective/action series on either DVD or Blu, despite the reviews of the last two gos [1987-89] not being the best)?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Been looking at quite a few TV DVD (and a couple of TV Blu) collections on YouTube and elsewhere, and one thing I wonder about them-- why do many of them have all of certain series, despite the negative critical reviews of some seasons of those series (like, for instance, Miami Vice, where some have all of that 1984-89 NBC detective/action series on either DVD or Blu, despite the reviews of the last two gos [1987-89] not being the best)?
There may be one or more episodes they like. On media most of the complete series sets are cheaper than individual sets would be for the "good" episodes.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There may be one or more episodes they like. On media most of the complete series sets are cheaper than individual sets would be for the "good" episodes.

That explains it-- I know I am (and have been) the same way on The Streets of San Francisco, for one, where despite some saying that the lone Richard Hatch season (1976-77) was a downgrade in quality from what the four Michael Douglas seasons were, that fifth and final go did have at least two remarkable outings in "Breakup" and "Let's Pretend We're Strangers," both from 1977.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It could be that many people completely disagree with those 'negative critical reviews' and think that those people who came up with those reviews are just flat out wrong.

If you are a fan of a series, then you a fan of the series, not just someone who jumps on a bandwagon to follow the crowd.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I can't possibly imagine having an incomplete run of a series I am collecting. There are always gems in the less stellar years for me. I can't see me having only the first two seasons of Star Trek, the first year of Space:1999, the first 5 episodes of Lost in Space, the first 3 seasons of The Fugitive....

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I can't possibly imagine having an incomplete run of a series I am collecting. There are always gems in the less stellar years for me. I can't see me having only the first two seasons of Star Trek, the first year of Space:1999, the first 5 episodes of Lost in Space, the first 3 seasons of The Fugitive....
Besides, with a decent flagon of Saurian Brandy, "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" can be quite a hoot ;)!

1619101446347.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It could be that many people completely disagree with those 'negative critical reviews' and think that those people who came up with those reviews are just flat out wrong.

If you are a fan of a series, then you a fan of the series, not just someone who jumps on a bandwagon to follow the crowd.

Also very true-- I have all of the original 1959-63 ABC Untouchables series on DVD, and IMO, that fourth and final go (some saying it's the weakest) far outclasses almost anything on today.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tend to have complete runs of series when I get into them after the fact or when the complete release is cheaper than the individual seasons.

I tend to have individual seasons that don’t add up to complete runs when I start following a show when it’s on the air, buy the season during the hiatus, and lose interest in the show before it finishes its run. I loved the first season of Heroes so I bought it in anticipation of the second season. I didn’t like the second season but the discs came with an unused storyline that I wanted to see. I didn’t like the third season, bought the discs anyway, didn’t watch them. I didn’t like the fourth season so I didn’t buy it. None have been rewatched so it was good that I stopped.

Then there’s something funky like CSI where I started collecting on DVD, and then the later seasons starting coming out on Blu so I got in that format. Then they switched to DVD only and dropped the Blu, so I switched to buying them in HD on iTunes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Smallville is another example for me. I got very into Superman in 2006 when Superman Returns came out and then decided to catch up on Smallville. I bought the seasons I missed and binged them to catch up to the new season that would air in the fall. Out of habit I bought the next couple when they came out after seeing the live broadcasts, but never watched them. So I stopped buying the discs before the show ran its course because once was enough.

There was also a time in my life where it felt important to have a copy of everything I had seen with little regard to whether it would be revisited - like having a souvenir program - but after moving a few times where I’d pack and unpack the same things again and again but never watch them, I got over that.

And now with streaming, nothing really ever goes away once it airs, so I don’t need to buy nearly as much. I watched The Orville on Hulu when it was new. We have Hulu year round. There was no reason to buy the discs because it’s never left Hulu. I never lost access to the show so I never felt the need to physically possess it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's shows where I think they have gotten weaker over time or the quality has varied depending on the year or I've even bought it largely because I 'have' to get them all but I can't really think of a season where I've thought that it was total garbage and still bought it. Even if it's not as good as other years, there's still something I enjoyed about it so none of my purchases have ever been because I was a fan of other better seasons.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
For me it depends on the series. I agree that reviewers have it wrong sometimes but sometimes the dvd medium has changed things some. There could be several seasons that I didn’t like/or can see why they weren’t liked due to the commercials and one episode releases each week. It is amazing how much things change when you watch everything back to back with no interruptions. Also, if it is a season I have seen, there have been a time when my expectations are different (I do this with movies too). This usually happens due to ad campaigns that mislead or overhype things. Even with these reasons I still have my limits. There are certain series that I cannot acknowledge the last season even was created, mainly due to the obvious “improvements” network suits throw in to fix or bump up a show (such as extreme cast changes, breaking up characters that have finally gotten together, completely redoing the show, etc.).

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
agree with what everyone has said already . also wanted to add that another reason is bc some people are completists when it come to their collection. i‘m that way for the most part . it just doesn’t feel “right“ to not have the whole set (for me) . i do have a couple of exceptions , i only have the 1st 2 seasons of Happy Days when it was single camera bf it went to Multi and a studio audience and a Brit copper show called Special Branch that went to full on location shooting and film for its 3rd and 4th season vs studio bound video taped (1st 2 seasons) , they also completely changed the cast midway so its one of the most extreme cases in a pre 80’s show . its really two different shows with the same name. i think with the advent of the budget / all in one complete series sets , it just made more financial sense to get the whole series for a lot of people

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For a vintage series there was *no* way I was going to buy the last two seasons of "Moonlighting". To me, that series is over with its S3 Christmas episode.

I have not bought "Gunsmoke" past S12 because I prefer the half-hour format of S1 to S6, but even if I summoned the strength to get more seasons I don't ever want to see the last season without Amanda Blake's Kitty. As far as I'm concerned, she never left Dodge!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I try to complete most series I start even things like Mork and Mindy where the final season isn’t very good. Some series are stalled out like Love Boat or Beverley Hillbillies, while in other series have gone partially out of print like Partridge Family making it difficult to complete.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Generally speaking, if I like a series enough to collect it on disc, I'll collect it in its entirety. While there are some series that I'm not complete on, for one reason or another, there's none that come to mind where I deliberately bought some seasons and not others (unless I lost interest in the series).

With movie series, it's a bit different. I like about half of the James Bond movies, for example, and don't feel compelled to own the others. I'd feel the same about the TOS/TNG Trek films, except that I was able to get the Blu-ray sets of those groupings pretty damn cheap, so I did.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m probably the other way around - I’m more likely to collect entries in a movie series I didn’t care for than I am TV seasons. For better or worse, if I’m gonna watch Superman, I’ll end up watching Superman III soon enough each time, even though I’m disappointed every single time.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As a long-time Marvel & DC comics fan, I'll collect the movies (and TV series) based on them, even if I don't care for them. There are some exceptions: I'm unable to bring myself to acquire a copy of either Catwoman, Jonah Hex, or X-Men Origins: Wolverine, for example. I'm still struggling on whether to get the two Tim Story Fantastic Four movies.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I understand the completist mentality when it comes to collecting TV series, and Bryan's points about there being a few gems in later, less well-regarded seasons is a good one. As is the fact that more often than not the complete series set is the cheapest option. However, in certain cases for me, a handful of seasons of a show in its prime is enough, and I feel no need to collect the whole thing. For me, it has less to do with general critical consensus and more to do with a personal feeling of "enough is enough," or of a show having run its course and just spinning its wheels as it continues on. I'm sure that the later (as yet unreleased, sadly) seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies are still funny, but for me, the first five seasons are definitely enough for my personal collection, and those seasons capture the show at its peak...and that's about 168 episodes! Will I really find the time to watch more of that show? Doubtful...

Another factor is what Jack P mentions above, that a beloved actor / character one feels is integral to the vibe of the show departs the series. (Though in the case of Miss Kitty, her absence in Gunsmoke S20 wouldn't be something I'd particularly cry over, as I've never been that fond of the actress or her character - sorry, Jack!) Even though I'm sure there are several good episodes of The Andy Griffith Show after Don Knotts left the series, I feel no need to collect that show past S5 (though I would snap up a small set comprised of the "Barney Fife returns" episodes from those later seasons in a heartbeat). Similarly, I'm happy to stop at S5 of Bewitched, as I prefer Dick York as Darrin over Dick Sargent.

There are times, though, when my plan to only purchase a few early seasons of a show backfires on me somewhat, as I find myself really liking a show and wishing that I had opted for the complete series set. Mannix is one such example. I bought the first two individual seasons, thinking that would be sufficient. Then I decided I wanted more, found a S1-4 megapack for $20, and bought that. Now I want S5-8, and will probably have to buy the complete series set as the most affordable option to get those. That will of course leave me with three S1 and S2 sets! D'oh!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks