Owners of G.E. Frige with Filter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Jul 19, 2002.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

We just bought a G.E. refrigerator that has the water filter in it. About how often do you have to change the filter. I think the manual says approx. 6 mos., the salesman said he can go for about a year. What has your experience been? (I sort of doubt that we'll use the filtered water for cooking pasta, making sun tea, etc., probably just for a refreshing glass of H2O)

Also, G.E. sells those filters for $35 a pop. Can they be had elsewhere for less.

2. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I'm on my second filter on my G.E. fridge. I've owned the fridge for about 3 1/2 years. I changed it for the first time about 8 months ago. The original filter was still working fine, I just figured it was time to change it. The water from the fridge generally only gets used for a glass of drinking water. The ice maker uses it too, I think.

I was unable to find one cheaper than the $35 G.E. one.

3. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I've been using mine for around two years...I guess it should probably be replaced soon, although the water still tastes fine. I saw the filters at Lowe's for about $30.

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I replace mine every year around March. Along with drinking water, we use it for the cat's water and he likes it fresh so his bowl gets re-filled about 3 times a day.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It does depend both on how much you use it and how your tap water is too. I've changed mine twice in about 2 years, but I consume a lot of ice. Just check the light once in awhile.

You'll only see what it is doing when you 'flush' out the old stuff after you put the new filter in. Disgusting stuff!

Glenn