"Owl & the Pussycat" (1970) DVD any good?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Mar 23, 2000
    I though I had read "The Owl and the Pussycat" DVD doesn't look very good. Anyone have it?

Also I've seen the DVD in both a white and a black snap case - anyone know the difference? SONY usually uses the white for children's films and "Owl and the Pussycat" is definatly not a children's film (It's about a foul mouth prosititue)
  2. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 1999
    bob kaplan
    i got it...did think the transfer might be "adaquate?"...but even worse...if i am not mistaken...is that it contains censored footage from the cut t.v. version...to cover some of the language. i might be wrong...but the segment is just before a couple of "gentlemen" chase Ms. Streisand. Because of the censorship...the chase really does not make much sense.
  3. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Apr 21, 2003
    You are right. The version released on DVD is the PG version, and not the original R-rated theatrical release. The scene you mentioned is essentially ruined as a result of the censorship.

It's really quite ridiculous. It's not as if making that one cut suddenly makes the film "family-friendly." It's an adult film dealing with adult subject matter. Even more ridiculous is the fact that it plays on TV with the scene intact, albeit with the "offending" word removed, thus allowing viewers to at least have an understanding of the punch line of the scene.

Still, it is nice to have a widescreen release of the film...