What's new

OW! My foot hurts! (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Yesterday I went for a really long walk (house neighborhood hunting) and I haven't walked for quite some time due to the weather. I was gone for 4-5 hours. at the end of it my left foot was "tweaked". no problem, I made it home on the bus. When I woke up today, I could barely walk on it. The whole outside of my foot is in pain. I don't know if it's a bone thing or a muscle thing. Hopefully a muscle thing, as everything is really tight all the way up to my knee. I've been trying to stretch the foot and massage it all day and nothing doing. URGH!! Anyone a foot expert here?? Excercises or particular stretches I might be missing or forgetting?

I was walking on a pair of Nike running shoes that are about 2 years old now. I've been thinking of replacing them for a while now. Can anyone recommend a good pair of runners for someone who runs and walks alot that maybe has better cushioning? I don't think I'll go Nike again. Although they were expensive at the time ($130)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps a muscle pull? I just went through 4 weeks of excruciating back pain due to a pulled muscle and I see what they say about how you're better off to break a bone than to pull (or sprain) a muscle. :frowning:

p.s. As everyone of these threads should end - "Go see a Dr." Don't screw around with pain.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Would you be playing "Stuck in the Middle With You" while performing the surgery? Seriously though, it could be a tendon that you pulled. Does it hurt when you flex your toes? Is it swollen? I used to get those types of pains whenever we were forced to run the cross country run in high school.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
yep, that's what I think too. can't press my toes down and lift my heel very much. I can however scrunch my toes down with no pressure at all. it's not swollen much, but it is a little pink. a friend told me it would be a sprain. I have been icing it off and on and keeping it elevated when I'm on the couch. it's time for another hour of ice I think.

I've never sprained or strained or broke off any part of me before ever, so of course I'm a baby about it today...

"stuck in the middle with you"... think I'll put on reservoir dogs....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Sounds like plantar fasciitis with a shin splint. When the muscles expand after extraneous use, the connective tissue (fascia) holds the muscle down. This expanding muscle versus tight connective tissue can cause severe pain.

The pain can be prevented by adequate pre-stretching, cooling down, post-stretching and easing in to an exercise regimen rather than going all out. This is a common injury for people that do not normally exercise and then enter a charity "walk-a-thon."

I would seek medical advice if it is as severe and limits your mobility/quality of life.

For further reading:
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/987116429.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...003177.htm#top

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hmmmm interesting. it's not "limiting my quality of life"... it's the first time it's happened, but today I have severe pain and can only walk on one foot and big toe

I just want to be able to walk tomorrow and not have it hurt so much.

If it's still an issue tomorrow, I will see a doctor at the clinic.

Thanks guys!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Thats why we have two feet...

You always have a spare... Well, not always... Try to be careful with your body parts... Once they are gone, it is very difficult, if not impossible to get them back...

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Good advice, Ryan!! I'll keep that in mind for next time.

I'm slowly getting back to normal and will hopefully walk normally in a day or two. Doing lots of excercises and stretches.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Take it slow--this may take some time to heal and will likely return if you do similar activity without proper warm-up and stretching.

I wish you continued health.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Alot was my fault in the recovery, because at first because of the pain and other limitations, I favored it immensely... walking on toes and the front part of my foot just so I could get around and do things around the house, rather than trying to walk normally from the outset. I changed my ways Saturday morning and, while I still feel pain, and in different spots, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Chris, and when I do get better, I am going out to purchase a new pair of running shoes with excellent arch support. Any brand/model you guys could recommend? My shoes are almost 2 years old Nikes by now which is too old I think.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Paul:

I have chronic foot pain from years of abuse (I was a barefoot football placekicker for more than a dozen years) and for walking shoes, I have found "new balance" work the best for me. They make a line of dedicated "walking shoe" that have really helped alleviate a lot of the pain... The model I use have special stabilizers in them that can correct any "pronation" problems you may have (go to the website to learn more). I don't/can't run anymore, but I don't think they would be very good for running, so if you're inclined to go faster than a walk, I wouldn't recommend them.

My feet are pretty messed up, and running shoes with huge arch supports hurt me, so I don't wear those, and can't comment on them...

AVOID walking on a hurt foot if you can... You will favor the foot, and end up walking in a way that can: hurt your knees; hurt your hips; hurt your back; or (most likely) further hurt your already injured foot...

Elevate, Immobilize, and ICE!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Great point Erik! Today I walked across the street for the first time (it's a major street, and a ways from my apartment, about a 10 min walk each way) mainly because I needed food, was the first time in a shoe and I definitely felt myself limping. Not as bad as on the weekend, but definitely was a limp there. I think I will avoid the walking as much as I can. I find that frequent hot baths, 15-20 mins, 3 times a day really helps and feels good too, and right now I'm rolling my foot over a frozen 500ml water bottle, which I love! I'll be shoe shopping as soon as I am wlaking normally, but I'll check out NB. I've heard about them before in terms of being the best for your feet.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks