What's new

Overwhelming Majority: South Park On DVD Themed Sets Must Stop (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well Vince, you already posted so many opinions up top :)
Buy the R4 discs people, they're cheaper, and it's the same disc! ($18/volume, $5 shipping)
Jeff Kleist

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
I returned my 6 volumes of South Park ... because the first 3 were NOT CAPTIONED as advertised on the box...
Tossed the remaining 3 volumes as well because what's the point of having an incomplete set??
I don't understand why the first three were not captioned but I can only guess it has something to do with the fact that the first 3 were released nearly a whole year before the latter three.
But now that i know there are R2 and R4 season sets... I'm gonna look into to buying them just like I bought the Buffy Season sets. Well granted, I understood why Fox had to pull it but I just couldn't bear to wait longer than I had to.
But I'm disgusted by the treatment of South Park on dvd. The first three volumes weren't captioned... and even on the latter 3 discs... all the Matt & Trey intro scenes to the episodes were NOT CAPTIONED!!! WHY THE HELL NOT??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I can't stand the Matt & Trey intro scenes, and I can't stand that you can't simply skip them. I fast-forward every time.
frown.gif
The intros suck!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Vince,
Add my name to the list...........
Warner Brothers!!!! Season sets only!!!! No best of Sets.
I WILL NOT BE BUYING SOUTH PARK ON NOV 6TH!!!!!--Joe Fisher, Mt. Vernon, NY
------------------
:alien:
My Dvd Collection

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Hey Warner! I have bought "South Park" volumes 1-6. I have ordered the first season of the "Simpsons". I have the first three seasons of "The X-Files" and the first season of "The Sopranos". Do you see a pattern in my purchases? Is there something that you know that Fox and HBO don't?

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly a sad state of affairs, having new South Park discs only be available in themed sets. I truly hope Warner / Comedy Central gets their act together and gives the fans what they want.
I for one will not be purchasing any new theme releases.
-Dan

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I was going to buy the first 6 volumes of South Park, but then the first of the random episode discs came out. When I realized what was going on I cancelled my order for the first 6 discs.
If I can't watch the episodes in order then I don't see the point of buying them at all.
Now there's probably no way we'll see South Park any other way because Warner will claim the discs didn't sell very well so they won't release any more.
Gord
------------------
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/redirect.cfm?BannerID=8

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly sad. I'd love to have season sets of South Park right next to the Simpsons sets. However, as long as themed discs are released, they will not be in my collection.
Complete & in order or not-at-all.
------------------
I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
my DVDs

Glennica

Agent
I also have purchased the first six South Park DVDs, along with the movie, but will never purchase 'themed' discs, with the episodes completely out of order.
I'm getting very tired of waiting for these episodes to be released properly, but I will not purchase any South Park DVDs until this happens.
I want to watch television episodes in the order that they originally aired, with nothing omitted. What is so difficult to understand about that?
Glennica

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Warner USED to be a strong supporter of the DVD format and they gave the consumers what they wanted. Now they're at the bottom. Warner you need to seriously wake up and release the season sets like every other studio does. Quit trying to be eccentric. You don't pass.
John

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
yet another customer over here wants to buy all the South Park episodes in order of release...just like I'm buying *all* of Fox's Simpsons episodes.
-dave

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Warner, I won't buy any "themed" DVD releases of South Park, or anything else!!!
Release South Park in seasoned sets, and you get my money. Simple as that...

No more theme DVD purchases for me. I want my South park in chronological, season sets! Come on, Warner -- don't pretend Comedy Central came up with this idea!
------------------
CMM

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
This very topic is the reason I decided to register in the first place. This whole thing has been pissing me off for over a year!
Just to illustrate the lengths I go through to get South Park on disc in episode order: I get each episode onto my PC, either through downloading through usenet or capturing from my VHS tapes, then I burn three at a time onto VCDs. I even make custom labels. The quality is questionable at best, but it's better than what we're offered now! Yes, fans can be this dedicated!
Now who do we blame for all of this? Matt and Trey: no. They hate the over-merchandising of South Park to begin with, but they have no control over those decisions. I'm guessing that they have no control over video releases as well. I think they passed that up for near total creative control over the show. However, I will say that the word from the people who work for the show is they will release season box sets "As soon as we get as many wealthy fans as those two shows (Simpsons and X-Files). Our fans are po..." If they really believe that, it would truly be a shame. To that I would say: their sponsors don't seem to think so.
Who else? Warner: no. As much as Time Warner's entertainment business units have begun to suck and be motivated purely by bottom line since the AOL buyout, you can't say they are the only reason. They are committed to releasing The Sopranos season-by-season (I bought both seasons), and that is for a show that is being broadcast weekly season by season, and they STILL get people to buy! Then again, that is HBO, and their justification may be that HBO viewers are more affluent and would be more likely to buy.
So that leaves: Comedy Central. South Park is (partially) THEIR property. That tool from the Warner chat said that this was a Comedy Central "programming" issue. He's mostly right. These "themed" DVDs have to be programmed just like anything on Comedy Central's lineup, and just like South Park's rerun schedule. Why have you NEVER seen "Terrance & Philip: Not Without My Anus" rerun on Comedy Central? Simple: it's a programming issue. (While it's CC's least favorite episode, I'm sure, it happens to be Trey & Matt's favorite.) That is exactly why I hate themed discs: it only includes the episodes these tools THINK we want to see, leaving out many excellent episodes that are never seen again. It allows non-creative people the opportunity to be creative with bundling episodes. Memo to Comedy Central programming executives: Matt & Trey are the creative people, not you, stop trying to be creative when you're not and stick to the easiest, fairest method: episode-by-episode, season-by-season.
Comedy Central has internal data on South Park viewers and is probably concluding that they are too young and poor to be buying DVD box sets. First of all, Kenny is poor, not me. Second of all, your sponsors are convinced that SP viewers love to buy video games (not too cheap these days) and cars (again, way more than a DVD box set). For every reason CC can throw at us to say that SP fans wouldn't buy box sets, I'm sure there are 10,000 viewers out there that would disagree.
The bottom line is that Comedy Central is just stupid and lazy when it comes to this. They want the Joe Six Packs in the store to just see a themed disc and say "Oh, Timmy, cool!" Also they don't want to be too risky by asking people to buy too much and risk losing a potential sale. But what's the point of selling them to people? To gain MORE fans? Let's say these people were to become fans from watching themed discs. Doesn't CC want them to become just as rabid as us, so that they eventually...WANT TO BUY EVERY EPISODE?!? Aaah, now you're starting to see my point. CC is catering to the so-so fans, and is missing a HUGE market of die-hard fans.
Gotta go, I gotta set my VCR (groan) for tonight's new episode.
Comedy Central, wake up, you're missing the boat!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Dear Warner Bros.:
I have bought many DVDs from you in the past, and my purchases averaged out come up to more than one disc a week. You don't even have to try very hard to sell me stuff. If I like it, I'll buy it! HOWEVER, I am very disturbed that between WHV and Comedy Central, someone has decided to discontinue releasing South Park episodes in their original order. South Park is one of the few shows on the air that consistently delivers to their viewers in nearly every episode. So why did someone decide to treat it like a subpar series deserving of only "greatest hits" releases?
And to add insult to injury, your affilated distributors in Region 2 and Region 4 went one step further and actually released boxed sets. Now that we know somebody else is giving South Park special treatment, it's nearly impossible to accept the discs you are currently releasing in Region 1. Remember how I said I'm not hard to please? Well, in this case, you're going to lose out on my money, which will be going to the pockets of someone in Region 4, where they are putting out something that I do want to buy!
= Derek Miner =

Scott W.

Second Unit
I'm hesitant to buy anything other than season by season volumes of South Park. Warner had a good thing going there for awhile... rleasing in chronological order. Anything else just isn't attractive to me.
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks