What's new

Overwhelmed by satellite systems and choices (1 Viewer)

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
Through help on this forum, I have collected a good part of my entertainment system:

Sony 34"XBR
HK AVR 8000
HK PA 2000
Panasonic RP82 DVD
B&W speakers

Now I need to get a satellite system and am again overwhelmed by the choices.

Please offer any suggestions for either DirectTV or Dish and which product of satellite receiver to get (hughes, sony, etc.) I am looking for something of similar quality to the rest of my system. If more information is needed, plese let me know. Thanks.

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
Through help on this forum, I have collected a good part of my entertainment system:

Sony 34"XBR
HK AVR 8000
HK PA 2000
Panasonic RP82 DVD
B&W speakers

Now I need to get a satellite system and am again overwhelmed by the choices.

Please offer any suggestions for either DirectTV or Dish and which product of satellite receiver to get (hughes, sony, etc.) I am looking for something of similar quality to the rest of my system. If more information is needed, plese let me know. Thanks.

JohnMann

Auditioning
Sattelite systems I can help you with,(if you are interested in a DTV recorder) as I have had both dish network and directv services. Dish network actually has a better choice of programming, however, their personal TV service (dish networks version of TIVO) was lacking on the reciever model I used. Tivo I have found to be more useful in that 1. two tuners are built into TIVO recievers, 2. you have 30 minutes into watching any program to decide to record or not. (with personal tv you have to be "live" to begin recording) 3. because two tuners are built into the unit, you can be recording two programs at once, and be watching a third previously recorded, or record one program and watch another while still being able to use TIVO, (pause, rewind, etc.) 4. also TIVO offers a lifetime membership for $250, while personal TV only can be paid month to month for $10/month.
Newer dish network personal tv recorders probably offer more recording time, however the model I had only could save 13 hours of programming in its hard drive and was noisy, whereas TIVO records up to 35 hours and is very quiet compared to Dish Network. On the down side, pause time on Tivo is limited to 30 minutes while watching TV as opposed to several hours on Dish Network, and the remote on my TIVO (phillips) model while it is programmable, is not compatible with my TV (toshiba TZ55X71) or my Kenwood reciever. The Personal TV reciever remote could control my TV and VCR. The Hughes TIVO remote is more versatile than the Phillips one.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I looked good and hard a few months ago at DISH, DirecTV, and digital cable with HD. I ended up going with digital cable for picture quality, though mileage in other geographic areas may vary dramatically.

I found DirecTV to have better picture quality than DISH in general. Local channels looked pretty bad on both.

If I were going with satellite, I'd probably go DirecTV with Tivo.

Then again, DISH is going to have an HD PVR receiver by early 2003. Decisions, decisions...

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clear up a few things... Dish's current stuff is their DishPVR equipment -- which is significantly better than their older "personal TV" stuff...
> Tivo I have found to be more useful in that 1. two tuners
> are built into TIVO recievers,
The DishPVR 50x only has one tuner, but the new DishPVR 721 has two -- so that you can record one and watch another, do PIP, and so on. (I have the DishPVR 501, so I'm not fully familiar with the 721 -- I just know it now exists.)
> 2. you have 30 minutes into watching any program to
> decide to record or not. (with personal tv you have to
> be "live" to begin recording)
With DishPVR, you can be up to about 60-65 minutes into any program and still record from the beginning now. (Or you could start right there and just record the rest, of course.)
> 3. because two tuners are built into the unit, you can
> be recording two programs at once, and be watching a
> third previously recorded,
Indeed -- the 721 can now do that. With my 501, with one tuner, I can only record something while I watch something already recorded -- as far as simultaneous sessions goes.
> 4. also TIVO offers a lifetime membership for $250, while
> personal TV only can be paid month to month for
> $10/month.
Dish no longer charges a monthly fee for their PVR service. With the new DishPVR boxes, you just buy the box and go -- no changes to your service. NO monthly fees.
> Newer dish network personal tv recorders probably offer
> more recording time, however the model I had only could
> save 13 hours of programming in its hard drive
The low-end 501 records about 35 hours. The 508 and 721 do 70 hours.
> On the down side, pause time on Tivo is limited to 30
> minutes while watching TV as opposed to several hours on
> Dish Network,
The 501 allows about 65 minute pause. Dunno if the 508/721 is the same or double that.
Just wanted to pass that along for those interested. I love my DishPVR. Even if it is now the low-end unit (of their PVR units). :)
- John...

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Definitely look at the DirecTivo. At this point it's absolutely delightful. Do a search, and you'll find a lot of positive comments on these units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks