What's new

Overwhelmed by new receiver (1 Viewer)

ira g

Auditioning
Have patience with a home theater newbie who just setup his first-ever a/v receiver (denon 2803) with 5.1 speakers. I want to make sure I'm watching/listening to Cable/DVDs/etc. the "right" way.

I'm sure it's subjective, but I guess what I'd like to know, is how does everyone watch/listen to TV or DVDs? Is there any gain or loss in sound quality if I set the receiver one way or another depending on the source?

The 2803 has so many audio settings that you can choose: auto, dolby, pcm, etc.

For most cable, I guess the audio signal is just two-channels, but I can push some buttons on the receiver and then the 'dolby' or 'prologic' light comes on and I can hear sound in all the speakers. I'm just paranoid that there's a "correct" or optimal way to listen to the different sources.

AaronJB

Second Unit
Pro Logic (or, better yet, Pro Logic II) provides an enjoyable way to experience stereo music or TV material in a manner that's more enveloping.

DVDs - at least for newer films - are meant to be heard in 5.1. (DTS or Dolby Digital, depending on what the DVD offers). Some newer films and many older films are in 2.0, which can also be used w/Pro Logic or Pro Logic II).

So, in other words, you're doing nothing wrong.

ira g

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply.

--------------------------
Some newer films and many older films are in 2.0, which can also be used w/Pro Logic or Pro Logic II
--------------------------

Is Pro Logic II just a way for the receiver to decode a stereo, or two-channel, signal so that it can be made into "surround" sound?

In other words, if I'm watching cable TV and I set the receiver to "Dolby" and it then says "PL-II", is the receiver just taking a stereo input and then sending the appropriate "stuff" to the appropriate 5.1 speaker?

Thanks again,
-ira

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Is Pro Logic II just a way for the receiver to decode a stereo, or two-channel, signal so that it can be made into "surround" sound?

In other words, if I'm watching cable TV and I set the receiver to "Dolby" and it then says "PL-II", is the receiver just taking a stereo input and then sending the appropriate "stuff" to the appropriate 5.1 speaker?

Yep - you got it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hello Ira.

Unlike Music where accuracy is key, Television and Movie sounds are largely artificial. So feel free to play around with settings until it pleases you.

For DVD's and DD5.1 shows, there ARE some adjustments you can make to your speaker levels to compensate for not sitting in the center of a perfect circle of speakers.

Look at the top of the Basics section for the Primer/Faq button. There is a TON of information there, all orriented to the new HT owner.

Enjoy your stay.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
This is how I look at it. I also recently started this Home Theater hobby (if that's what you'd describe it) and I went through the same thing. Is there a way to make it sound perfect? Am I doing something wrong? If come to the realization that what is wrong for someone else might be right for you. Fiddle around until you get the sound the way YOU like it and forget what everyone else tells you to do.

I would invest $15 or so and get the Sound and Vision Home Theater DVD (I got mine at Buy.com but it's available online in most reputable retailers. This will give you some tweaks that could enhance what you see and hear. After that? Just set it up the way YOU feel comfortable with it. General rules:

* For DVDs use DTS or Dolby Digital (most times your receiver will default to DD, you can change to DTS in the DVDs setting if that floats your boat.

* For TV, Cable, VCR, etc. use Dolby PLII (my Kenwood 6050 receiver has something called Circle Surround, which I find provides a richer surround sound than PLII. But that's just my opinion). For PLII and CSII many receivers will allow you to tweak various settings. Play with that until you get the sound YOU like.

* Use PLII, CSII (both of these MAY have a seperate setting for music), or plain old stereo (remember, your music CDs or radio are probably only optimized for stereo anyway), but again, whatever sounds best to you.

I would also suggest, when you optimize, do it from the place where you will be listening from mostly (i.e. from your sofa).

Bottom line: There is no RIGHT way, only what's RIGHT for YOU!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As others have noted, Ira, this is basically correct. However, keep in mind that any surround sound you get from TV programming is dependant on a few things.

First, the station has to be delivering a stereo signal.

Second, the program itself has to be in stereo or surround sound.

In other words, you will find that not get surround sound from every program you tune into. This is perfectly normal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks