What's new

Overscanning (1 Viewer)

I want to buy a new DVD player and I'm interested in the Malata that DVDBeaver says can handle the problem of overscanning. Does anybody at the forum have opinions on this, or can they recommend other players. (I'm prepared to pay up $300 for a decent player.)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
My opinion is this: I hate overscan, but the way to deal with it is by properly adjusting your TV, not by downscaling your picture to 440*586 so that it fits inside the "safe area". I can live with a little junk at the screen edges while watching broadcasts, thank you very much [and of course the point is moot with DTV].

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
it is an interesting question, though, for some of us are unable to adjust the display.

Leo

I wouldn't know how to begin to adjust my Philips widescreen TV - I live in the Netherlands - but that's old, too and needs upgrading. By DTV, you mean digital TV?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Here in the States it's remarkably easy to get service information on most makes of TVs, but the kind of adjustments you have to do can be difficult and even dangerous. [Then, of course, there's the occasional set lacking a Horizontal Drive control!] Most widescreen sets, though, are recent enough to be computerised, and that kind of thing can be adjusted through a Service Menu. And, yah, Digital TeleVision, since it is encoded as [in your case] a 576*720 frame of pixels, is not going to have the junk around the edges that standard TV has, but that may not be a factor for you at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks