overscan question on new tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Naddy, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Naddy

Naddy Extra

Hi all,

First off I'm not sure if the following problem is due to overscan or geometry, but the scoretickers and news tickers on espn and cnn at the bottom of the screen are slightly cut off on my tv. Is that geometry or overscan? Regardless, I ran the overscan pattern from avia, and it showed at least 10% overscan on top and bottom, it that abnormally high?

Also, I've never really messed around with the service menu before, and I know if I adjusted the overscan problem, it might lead to convergence problems, and right now my convergence seems to be decent. And I'm not sure I know enough to adjust the two to get them to work. My question is since this is a new tv that I bought from Ultimate Electronics about 35 days ago, will they send out a technician to fix this problem or do I need to go through Samsung, or not do anything at all?

Thanks for all the help!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Naddy,

10% sounds high...every set I've ever owned is more like 5%. This would obviously contribute to the situation you described but there are usually other ways to fix this issue in a set's service menu other than the overscan if the needed adjustment is slight.