Overscan, more to do with TV or DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ethan_l, May 19, 2003.

1. ethan_l

ethan_l Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed that all the movies I've been playing on my 16:9 HDTV have a small part chopped off on the left and right side no matter what the aspect ratio the movie is in, when it projects onto the screen it gets cut

also since I'm running progressive scan, I can't change the aspect ratio on the TV because it's locked

just wondering if this is more a DVD issue
    is there a fix for it or should I buy another player?

Thanks

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

First of do you have your DVD player set up for 16:9 mode? If so the its more of a TV issue, especially if its locking into full mode. What is your 16:9? Can you get into the service menu? Do you have an AVIA disc? If so pull up the overscan and see what its set at. Believe optimum is 3-5%.

Kevin

3. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Avia also has a test which shows how many pixels your DVD player is losing off the edges after you get your overscan on the TV straight

4. ethan_l

ethan_l Stunt Coordinator

yeah I have a JVC-502S and I set it to 16:9 auto mode
    so if it's an overscan issue with my TV what setting
    should I change in it? I have a samsung 4215HCW
    and I don't remember seeing an overscan option in the system menu

thanks

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Usually, you have to go into the service menu/mode to reduce overscan, which is not advisable unless you're handy w/ tweaking. The TV comes w/ overscan because the CRT's are generally not able to display the full image w/out significant geometry and convergence problems, especially along the sides. Unless your overscan is higher than ~5%, it's probably not a good idea to reduce it. Certainly, if you reduce it, you should expect to have to correct geometry/convergence problems that will result.

If you really hate overscan, one thing you might do is buy a player that can scale/zoom out the picture enough to offset the overscan effect. This is one reason owners of the Malata players love their x/y-scaling feature.

_Man_