Overscan Issue or Bad Set?

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
This problem has probably existed since I bought the TV, but I didn't really notice it until lately.

I have a CRT rear projection Mitsubishi WS-48313. The picture is pushed way over to the left so that when there is a graphic or words on the left side they're cut off (example: in Cars, when the Jay Limo logo is on the screen, about 1/2 the logo is cut off). Also, I was playing 4:3 material on my HD-A1, and the picture seemed to be a good 3-4 inches from the center of the screen. Is this just a serious overscan issue, and does it sound like something I can take care of myself, or should I just live with it until I get a new set? I've had the TV for three years, so I'm not too interested in putting money into it. I'd rather save for a new one.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If you pick up a test disc like Avia, it has overscan plates so you can see how much overscan you're getting. You just throw up the pattern and see where it's cut off and the lines are labeled so you can get a good idea of how much you're losing at the edges, and if things are centered etc.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses. I don't have Avia; I use S&V Home Theater Tune Up, which doesn't have overscan plates. I'm probably going to pick up the new DVE HD when that's released, and hopefully I can check it with that.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings