Overscan how to

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben K, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

I'm looking for detailed instructions on how to setup overscan on a Toshiba 56H80. Anyone...anyone?

2. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Courtesy of Tom Herman:
    [*]Service Mode HIT = height, WID = width.[*]Reduce HIT until the white ends of Cross are visible and clearly "too short". Advance HIT until white ends just touch edge of screen. [*]Advance HIT 3 steps, final HIT value 43. [*]Do the same for for WID. After the White Cross just touches the edge of the screen, advance 3 steps, final WID value 26. [*]Press 'TV/Video' on Remote to scroll thru the other test patterns. Confirm the HIT & WID overscan is the least amount necessary to cover the screen, without static or junk in the extreme edges. [*]You may notice that red, green , and blue overscan may not be perfectly symmetrical. On my set , even though Cross Center was perfect, the ends of the red cross was further left than others, and end of the blue cross was furthest right. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because the convergence was off in the extremities, and convergence is not done till later.
    Another method is to make convergence grid overlays and use those to set your overscan. Using the specs provided by Toshiba for the overlays will result in a uniform 5% overscan. This is the method I use and I actually prefer it to a smaller overscan because 7" guns are simply not capable of accurate focus at the edges anyway.
    ------------------
    The Whites' Home Theater Website
    Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks