Overscan and 16:9 tele's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leroy, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I have a Mits 46807 WS set and a JVC PS DVD player. One of the features of the DVD player is a on screen menus that display the movie in a PIP type window while you are fooling with the menu. Thing I noticed is that the pip window shows the full image (1.85 and 2.35). With this I was able to judge how much overscan I had(no, I don't have an AVIA or VE disc).
    My question is how much, if any, image is lost when watching an enhanced 1.85:1 movie at 1.78:1 and where does the loss come from(sides or top and bottom)?
    I even noticed this while wathing The Professional(2.351). When the LEON title comes up the sides a cropped slightly(but in the menu PIP it is fully visible).
    Just curious.

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

If you're viewing a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, like, say, Cast Away, and you don't detect at least very slight black bars at the top and bottom on your 16:9 set, then your overscan is probably set up at around 3% and you are losing about that much off the edges. (In other words, about 1.5% of the image is being lost from each edge of the transfer.)
    This is fairly typical of today's 16:9 sets.
    If you do see very small black bars at the top and bottom of your 16:9 set while viewing anamorphic 1.85:1 transfers, then you don't have an overscan problem to speak of.
    Joseph

3. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Well, I'm not really concerned with the top and bottom overscan, since I think I'm right around 2-3%(judging by the menu PIP), moreso the sides. I looks like I'm losing quite a bit, but If I adjust it too much it becomes next to impossible to converge the guns at the far left and right resulting in some interesting rainbows!!

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If you can, get Avia and measure the overscan (Avia is a great tool in general to have), it's the best way to quantify how much you have. Around 5 percent on the left and right sides of a set seems the norm today and anywhere from 3-5 percent on the top and bottom. If you attempt to shrink the picture size to reduce it, you may introduce convergence and/or geometry problems on the edges. It's really a case of which one you think is a lesser evil.
    hope this helps,
    --tom