What's new

Overrated discs? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Fight Club - the commentaries are pretty sound and interesting, and I can't fault the transfer or sound on any level, but the second disc is just repetitive filler. It's always nice to give the Angle button a workout, but I found it annoyingly bitty and very unfulfilling.

The Abyss - after the initial WOW factor of the sheer amount of material, very little of it is of any real interest, not to mention possibly the most user-unfriendly disc I've seen in quite some time

Magnolia - the much-lauded documentary felt very scatty and unfocused to me, much Vivian Kubrick's documentary on The Shining; it wasn't so much of a production diary as a rough scrapbook

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Big trouble in little china disappointed me. The new commentary is entertaining I suppose but in general they talk very little about the movie. The deleted scenes on disc 2 is very extensive as well, but the disc is still a gathering of old material. A good documentary was the one thing I missed the most.

Requiem for a dream as well dissappointed me for pretty much the same reasons as Magnolia.

Fight Club - the commentaries are pretty sound and interesting, and I can't fault the transfer or sound on any level, but the second disc is just repetitive filler. It's always nice to give the Angle button a workout, but I found it annoyingly bitty and very unfulfilling.
Gee, I don't even particularly care for the transfer. Not only is this a surpassingly ugly film (yeah, I know it's intentional--so was "Traffic," which was equally offensive-lookng--and the DVD isn't at fault in either case), but the transfer has a distracting amount of EE.

For the life of me I can't figure out why directors insist on placing barriers between the audience and the visual elements of the film. Anyone interested in this topic should listen to the interview with Roger Deakins on the "Man Who Wasn't There" DVD; Deakins eschews the use of diffusion filters and the like. OTOH, I'm not thrilled with Deakins' own color manipulations on "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?" Multiple viewings can make one tired of this sort of thing in a hurry.

Art, shmart. I want to see the movie.

MK

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I agree partially with the opinions here about Fight Club. While I don't find any fault whatsoever with the audio/video presentation (I can't see any EE at all), I think the extras, besides the commentaries, are way overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug2000
Recent bookmarks