1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Overrated discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, May 11, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Fight Club - the commentaries are pretty sound and interesting, and I can't fault the transfer or sound on any level, but the second disc is just repetitive filler. It's always nice to give the Angle button a workout, but I found it annoyingly bitty and very unfulfilling.

The Abyss - after the initial WOW factor of the sheer amount of material, very little of it is of any real interest, not to mention possibly the most user-unfriendly disc I've seen in quite some time

Magnolia - the much-lauded documentary felt very scatty and unfocused to me, much Vivian Kubrick's documentary on The Shining; it wasn't so much of a production diary as a rough scrapbook

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Big trouble in little china disappointed me. The new commentary is entertaining I suppose but in general they talk very little about the movie. The deleted scenes on disc 2 is very extensive as well, but the disc is still a gathering of old material. A good documentary was the one thing I missed the most.

Requiem for a dream as well dissappointed me for pretty much the same reasons as Magnolia.

3. Mitchell Kaufman

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I agree partially with the opinions here about Fight Club. While I don't find any fault whatsoever with the audio/video presentation (I can't see any EE at all), I think the extras, besides the commentaries, are way overrated.