Overrated discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, May 11, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Fight Club - the commentaries are pretty sound and interesting, and I can't fault the transfer or sound on any level, but the second disc is just repetitive filler. It's always nice to give the Angle button a workout, but I found it annoyingly bitty and very unfulfilling.

The Abyss - after the initial WOW factor of the sheer amount of material, very little of it is of any real interest, not to mention possibly the most user-unfriendly disc I've seen in quite some time

Magnolia - the much-lauded documentary felt very scatty and unfocused to me, much Vivian Kubrick's documentary on The Shining; it wasn't so much of a production diary as a rough scrapbook

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Big trouble in little china disappointed me. The new commentary is entertaining I suppose but in general they talk very little about the movie. The deleted scenes on disc 2 is very extensive as well, but the disc is still a gathering of old material. A good documentary was the one thing I missed the most.

Requiem for a dream as well dissappointed me for pretty much the same reasons as Magnolia.

3. Mitchell Kaufman

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I agree partially with the opinions here about Fight Club. While I don't find any fault whatsoever with the audio/video presentation (I can't see any EE at all), I think the extras, besides the commentaries, are way overrated.