Overload Question

Xander H

Agent
Hey all. I'm currently running a Pioneer 1015TX receiver which is powering a JBL EC35 center speaker and six JBL E30 bookshelf speakers for 7.1 surround.

However, I don't yet have my subwoofer (still saving up, gonna snag a nice SVS in march) and I had a question. The system works perfectly on most volumes. I can watch TV at -40 and hear just fine, I usually watch at -35 or -30 and I watch DVDs at -20 or so. If it's an action movie and I'm really getting into it, I watch at -15 and if there's just a scene I'm trying to show off my system for I watch it at -10 which is really incredibly loud.

However, when I try to push my system higher than -7 or -6 and there's a really loud noise (usually I show say King Kong during the T-Rex Scene and when they fall and there's the giant *thud* it happens) my receiver will just shut itself off.

I can immediately turn it back on no problem, but I hear this referred to as overload and I'm wondering about it.

Does it hurt my receiver when this happens?

I setup all the speaker settings using MCACC and they're doing a great job of producing bass in a system without a sub, but will this problem disappear when I get a subwoofer to handle some of that bass load?

Is there any hardware that will add more power so this doesn't happen? Anything I can do with wiring? I don't know anything about bi-wiring or amps at all, but would either of these solve any problems?

I appreciate any input! Thanks!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Your receiver is powering off because it is protecting itself. You are pushing the amp section harder than it can go. Yes, you could do damage to your receiver. The sub should take some of the load off the receiver because you will be able to set the crossover higher to the speakers.

If you know about what level your receiver shuts off, why do you keep pushing it that far? Just back it off a hair and play it safe.

Don't worry about bi-wiring, it won't solve your issue.

You could add a better amp that could handle more load.

Xander H

Agent
Well it's only happened twice, and since then I figured that it might be doing damage so I've tried to keep it about 5dB away from the point where it shut off.

Hopefully the sub does help a little, and honestly I can't see ever going past -5dB or so and then only to show off, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to do the amp thing. Of course, I don't know anything about adding a better amp or how complicated/expensive that would be. If it was fairly cheap and simple it might be worth it, especially if the problem isn't solved by the addition of a subwoofer, but I'll probably wait till I add that and see how it goes first.

Until then, I'll make sure to keep it a good distance away from that shutoff point. Thanks for the info!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo