Overload protection on a Parasound HCA-855A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Merrell, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

(I've sent this to Parasound tech support, but I figure the community here would have some valuable feedback, too.)

I'm having a problem with my HCA-855A amp after moving it into an equipment closet. The issue is that the center channel (in this case, amp channel 3) trips the overload (led comes on) for itself, then all the other channels. What I mean by this is that the led for channel 3 comes on, then after a split second, all the other leds light up.

Various things that I've tried:

* If I remove the speaker wires for the center channel, the other channels run just fine.

* This happens regardless of whether or not the speakers are hooked up on the other end of the circuit.

* The center channel works without issues if plugged into my receiver (this is the current configuration pending resolution of the issue).

* A meter shows no continuity through the speaker wires (no short). Visual inspection of the banana plugs and wall jacks show no stray wires or other sources for a short.

* Volume doesn't seem to be a contributing factor.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks,

--Mike

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have the same problem with my Parasound amp HCA-855A, my understanding is that there is a grounding problem with the amp and that if you send it back to the factory that they can fix it. I think it is covered under the waranty.
    I deceided to live with only being able to power only my fronts and center speakers with the parasound. Cuz when I go fully into separates I am going to buy more powerful amps, and right now I don't want to have my amp away for repairs for how ever long it takes to repair [​IMG]

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Ken,

Do you know if this grounding problem on the 855A series is on all their units manufactured? Any serial numbers, or born on dates that you are aware of??

Thanks,
    Charles