Overload - is my amp dead? Please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew Mogford, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Andrew Mogford

OK, I hope that this is the right place to post this. If it is in the wrong place please move it and I promise I wont do it again.

OK, due to my job, I move all over the world. This time last year I bought a Pioneer VSX D711 amp. I bought it in Oman, in the middle East.

I then moved to Berlin, and had it shipped. It was fine.

I then moved to Qatar back in the middle east. My shipping arrived yesterday. I upacked and wired everything up. Played a CD - no problem at all.

I had bought a freeloader and F-Zero for my Gamecube, so I played that running through my amp. Unfortunately, the volume was very very low, even on high setting and the amp flashed Overload and turned itself off.

I just unplugged the audio from the Gamecube and plugged it in to the TV.

Today, I tried playing a DVD Audio. The surround was all there, but the volume was extraordinarily low (I could hardly hear it over the air conditioning). Then it flashed Overload and turned itslef off.

I tried it then with a DTS DVD (Terminator 2 Region 1), and it came through in DTS surround. But again, the volume was too low to hear properly, then the amp flashed Overload and turned itself off.

But CD's are still fine.

Is my Amp dead? Please tell me something simple I have not done or done wrong, becuase I cannot afford a new one, and dont know even if you can get them over here! [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

ensure that you don't have any speaker wires touching both terminals then consider opening the amp up and looking inside to see if there are any fuses that may be blown and if all looks 'normal' inside. Normal meaning no blown out capacitors with junk oozing out, no burned spots...stuff like that. Let's take it from there.

3. Andrew Mogford

Thankyou for taking the time to reply - and can I just say that I feel like a complete idiot. I am normally better than this honest......

Yep, I was slightly ahead of you and checked the speaker wire. The center speaker wire was touching. The clue of course, was that it was alright in stereo mode but Pro Logic II and DD / DTS blew it. I should have realised.

I've blown my center speaker, but that will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new amp.

Really sorry to waste your time, but thanks again.

I am really relieved!

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew, that's what audio experts like Chu are here for -- to answer questions. No need to apologize. Welcome to HTF.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

no waste whatsoever and i've lost count of how many replies i've given that weren't on the mark. you certainly are leading a fascinating existence there...be safe [​IMG]

6. Andrew Mogford

Thanks to both of you.[​IMG]

Off to find a new speaker now! [​IMG]

7. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

8. Andrew Mogford

Well, I discovered that the center speaker wires were touching. I seperated them, and then discovered that the center speaker was completely not working.

Are you telling me that I might have only shorted the wires and that the speaker might have been OK? [​IMG]

Oh well, I have a better center speaker now, anyway! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

10. Andrew Mogford