What's new

Overheating Question ? (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have an Onkyo TXSR601. I have heard of problems with this model overheating although I have never experienced this myself. My question is how much potential damage could be caused from stacking other components(dvd player, cable box, etc. On top of the receiver. In the past I've always had the receiver separated by shelfing with room for the top to ventilate. But now I have now shelfs I just have to stack everything and the Onkyo is the biggest and heaviest piece so naturally it has to go on bottom. Therefore the DVD player now sits right on top of the ventilation holes. Is the definitely gonna cause a problem or just potentially I've never noticed the unit running hot before but I don't want to ruin it. Are there spacers you can buy to place between components to allow for proper ventalation?

Thanks

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
NEVER and I mean NEVER under any circumstances stack anything on top of a receiver, no matter what type of situation you have. You want to take away many years of service and possibly damage your unit beyond repair that is the best way to do it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In addition to potentially damaging the receiver, all the heat thrown off into the component directly on top of it can be damaged, too. Thinks like VCRs and DVD players don’t take kindly to that. Voice of experience here...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
So are there any suggestions as to what I can do. Due to built in cabinets that all these items are going to have to fit into. Everything is going to have sit on a counter together and there is no room to go side by side. I could put the cable box on the bottom but it throws off heat as well and would probably cook my reciever from the bottom. So that being said what can I use to stack these items and still allow for enough ventaliation to not damage the equipment. How much space do I need to allow for between each componet. If I get some 2x2 pieces of wood and stack them on this would that help?

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Put the receiver on the bottom with a shelf about 4-inches above it. That will allow it to get adequate convection cooling. The other components can stack on the second shelf with no problem, although you might want to make the DVD player and cable box the top two, since they’ll run hotter than anything else..

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks