What would make the power cable that plugs into the back of my office laptop suddenly start to get burning hot? It was really getting piping hot, and sometimes the computer would shut off, so I ordered another power cord (the power cord and bulky cube on the cord thing) that had the same specs, and I tried using that. It melted. The plug that goes into the back of the laptop melted inside it. Fortunately all the plastic came out when I yanked it out. So I went back to the older power cable. Which must be a better plastic because so far, it has not melted even though it gets really hot. I don't know what could be the problem. I've had overheating computers before, but usually that was the processor overheating from dust in the vents. This is different - this appears to be heat being caused by the way electricity gets into the computer. I have no ideas about this. Any help appreciated. Would a better power strip help? The one I have is less than a year old, and isn't a cheap one. Sadly, a new computer is unlikely to be an option, unless the problem gets worse. So far, it only shuts itself off maybe every other day, so I am managing. But I am concerned.