What's new

Overheating Components (1 Viewer)

RichB

Grip
My Denon AVR 3300 and Sony DVP-S7700 recently died a miserable death. I brought them in for repairs and the estimates to repair them were so high that I decided to just cut my losses and purchase a new Denon 3803 receiver and Panny RP91 DVD player. I suspect that one of the reasons both of these components lasted only about 2-2 1/2 years is because they overheated quite a bit in my entertainment center. I have a beautiful entertainment center that has a very cramped area for components with wood and glass doors and only a very small slit in the back for cables. It gets hot in there when those doors are closed and even when I try to leave them open it's hot. Anyone have a similar problem? Does it make sense to try to buy some type of small fan or fans to help cool things down back there? Any recommendations?

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
What did they fail from? Seems kinds ironic they would both die at the same time. The heat was no help, that is for sure. But I would also look into your ac line???

-rob

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You need to have 6-8 inches above the receiver for venting. You should also put the receiver on the LOWEST possible shelf. This gives all the open space above a place for the heat to go.

Loose the back of the cabinent - this will help a lot.

You can install a inexpensive "clamp" fan and plug it into your receiver so the fan turns on when the receiver does. These are about $12 at places like Bed Bath and Beyond and at Longs/Thrifty/KMart. Position it so it blows over the receiver the move the hot air away.

If you are comfortable with a bit of AC wireing, you can get some 120 volt Muffin Fans from Radio Shack/Frys/etc. and bolt these to the back of your cabinent after cutting holes for air flow. Sometimes these fans are noisy, so people buy the 12 volt fans and a $15 "Battery Eliminator" from Radio Shack with adjustable voltage outputs. By reducing the voltage you can slow the fans down to quiet them, but still move air.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
when you brought them in, what did the service person 'think' was responsible for them dying? Hell of a coincidence for something like heat.

Tom S

Agent
Rob,

Sorry to hear about your loss, at least it gives you an excuse to upgrade. ;)

I have the same receiver and a similar oak cabinet set up. I noticed real soon that the electronics warm up quite quickly. Bob gives some good suggestions. Heat is electronics worst enemy. I have a 12V fan hooked up via a AC adapter via the switched AC port on my 3300. Fortunately, I knew it was getting close to overheating since the 3300's fan started to whine. The only time I use the fans is when the music is loud and then the fans are not heard. I am considering doing what Bob suggests, installing some permenant fans.

You need to create space. I have to think more about Bob's recommendation of putting the RX on the bottom shelf. Yes, heat rises, but rises through what? Your other components. I have my 3300 on the top shelf with lots of clearance above.

Tom

RichB

Grip
They said the receiver was unreparable due to a power surge. But I'll tell you I heard that whine long ago and never realized it was the fan. I have some type of Monster Cable Power conditioner power center thing, so I doubt it was a power surge......I forget what they said about the DVD player, I'll have to check again. I think I just went numb after hearing the estimate to fix it......

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Rich,

When you get a chance, tell us what model MonsterPower surge protector you have, and most importantly: Look at the LEDs for POWER ON/WIRING-GROUND OK/PROTECTION OK. Are they all still glowing?

What if the box tried to do its job, and now has "failed" according to the way these things are designed...

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
RichB,

Is Monster one of those companies that promises a large $$$ equipment compensation if your electronics fails for such, while plugged into their unit? If so, time to test the marketing speel ;)

JohnS

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
likely that warranty reads something like they'll pay to repair or replace it...fair market value. they'll also want to examine your protector to see what happened. you could certainly try to get something for it. btw, in order for you to be covered it'd also have to be that everything that was connected was plugged into the protector: DVD, TV, cable, accessories, etc.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Chu,

And my response would be "of course everything was plugged into the unit". :D Let the warrantee police prove it different! Hey, I didn't say it would be easy. That type of insurance/marketing hype, has always bugged me. Would like to see someone benefit from it, for once.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks